35mm Optical Printer Projector - Oil, Greases and Adjustments / Scanner Build

Robino Jones

I purchased a Scheib 35mm Optical Printer Projector Head with a pin registered ACME style movement. I am converting it into a scanner. The mechanics are working but it needs a little bit of adjustment.

I cannot find any information about the “Scheib” projector head and I was wondering if I could get recommendations on what type of oils / greases to use for roller bearings and larger drive gears. (I have Moviola intermittent grease, maybe that could work on the larger gears? I also have Sewing machine oil that I use on my Moviolas.) It’s a chain drive, would you slightly lubricate the chains?

Another thing I need help with is how to adjust / tune the clutches. When I got the printer the feed roll was feeding film to slowly and the take up was pulling to hard on the film - I found that tightening the hex screw on the clutches increased the tension on the reel shafts and it made it a lot better but I really would like to understand what the springs are for and basically how to adjust them, I also read somewhere that the felt disc needed a little oil? Not sure if I read that correctly.

Here are some pictures: (Dusty pics are 2 days old.. the projector is now all shiny)

QXlgpTA.jpg

T7biS9d.jpg

gjI1Dmg.jpglzaVKgM.jpgx1oqyyq.jpg