frame speed

Guest David Pratt

Guest David Pratt

i need to get some underwater filmin done. either a canon 814 in a housing or a eumig nautica.

i plan on editing all my footage at home by splicing and such and telecine the finished film instead of all 5 hours of film. my options are :

a) use the canon in a housing and lose focus control but shoot at 24fps.

B) use eumig and shoot at 18fps for water shots and have them telecined seperatley and add them on the computer into the rest of the movie.

c) use eumig and also shoot my land footage at 18fps.

what are the disadvantages of shootin at 18fps? can i get my film telecined at 18fps or do i need to slow it down on the computer? would i be able to mix in 18fps film with 24fps film successfully?

thanks in advance

David

i need to get some underwater filmin done.  either a canon 814 in a housing or a eumig nautica.

i plan on editing all my footage at home by splicing and such and telecine the finished film instead of all 5 hours of film. my options are :

a) use the canon in a housing and lose focus control but shoot at 24fps.

B) use eumig and shoot at 18fps for water shots and have them telecined seperatley and add them on the computer into the rest of the movie.

c) use eumig and also shoot my land footage at 18fps.

what are the disadvantages of shootin at 18fps?  can i get my film telecined at 18fps or do i need to slow it down on the computer?  would i be able to mix in 18fps film with 24fps film successfully?

thanks in advance

David

Results can be excellent at 18fps. Yes, you can telecine your film at 18 without having to use a computer to slow it down. Yes, 24 and 18 will mix.

18 looks slightly different from 24 when pan movement is involved. You will notice a slight strobe when you pan quickly. Aside from this, it is really difficult to tell the speeds apart when you telecine.

Additional advantages to 18 include savings on filmstock and better exposure in low light.

I would also recommend trying the new Vision 2 negative films made by Kodak. The results may surprise you with the cameras you are using.

You can buy film, processing and telecine in discounted packages at: www.spectrafilmandvideo.com. They did a great job for me and I shoot half my stuff at 18fps!