Michael Ballhaus, ASC (1935-2017)

Satsuki Murashige

• Premium Member

Legendary cinematographer Michael Ballhaus, ASC passed away a few days ago at the age of 81. He left behind an incredible body of work, working with directors like R.W. Fassbinder, Francis Coppola, and Martin Scorsese.

A rather thorough and well-considered obituary can be found here: http://nofilmschool.com/2017/04/michael-ballhaus-dead-obituary.

Never got the chance to meet him, but he seemed like a wonderful man. 'Goodfellas' is my favorite film of his, but I'd be interested in a retrospective that also encompasses his earlier work in Germany. If anyone has a particular favorite, please share them here.

How was the German film market in his days of working in it? I remember a film study class told me Germany was an artistic powerhouse in the 20's and 30's with guys like Fritz Lang. Was post WW2 German film production heavily reduced compared to other countries? If so, always a great story to see someone bud from a small pond and emerge in a large market.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

• Premium Member

So sorry to hear of his passing. GoodFellas (1990) was the first of his films that I saw, but the atmosphere of The Last Temptation of Christ ​(1988) is my all-time favorite.

Rest in peace, Michael.

• 1 month later...