Satsuki Murashige

Michael Ballhaus, ASC (1935-2017)

Legendary cinematographer Michael Ballhaus, ASC passed away a few days ago at the age of 81. He left behind an incredible body of work, working with directors like R.W. Fassbinder, Francis Coppola, and Martin Scorsese.

A rather thorough and well-considered obituary can be found here: http://nofilmschool.com/2017/04/michael-ballhaus-dead-obituary.

Never got the chance to meet him, but he seemed like a wonderful man. 'Goodfellas' is my favorite film of his, but I'd be interested in a retrospective that also encompasses his earlier work in Germany. If anyone has a particular favorite, please share them here.

How was the German film market in his days of working in it? I remember a film study class told me Germany was an artistic powerhouse in the 20's and 30's with guys like Fritz Lang. Was post WW2 German film production heavily reduced compared to other countries? If so, always a great story to see someone bud from a small pond and emerge in a large market.

Edited by Macks Fiiod

I've had so many conversations with filmmaker friends about this director of photography. I'm happy he lived a full life in the job he wanted to do. I'm moved from hearing of his passing.

So sorry to hear of his passing. GoodFellas (1990) was the first of his films that I saw, but the atmosphere of The Last Temptation of Christ ​(1988) is my all-time favorite.

Rest in peace, Michael.

one of my most beloved cinematographers! His work with Scorsese we all know and love but I would URGE all of you to check out his work with Fassbinder, who is probably one of the best filmmakers EVER!

also a movie that is A FEAST FOR THE EYES and EARS is Under The Cherry Moon which makes a great double bill with Veronica Voss ( BOTH Black and White and I believe shot by maestro Ballhaus )