Flying with gear. Any advice?

Hank Vadim

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Premium Member

The other option not discussed here is often you can drop ship items to your destination, but to be completely honest it is often substantially easier to rent gear locally whenever possible. It's cheaper than a Carnet and the baggage fees for the most part, and certainly less hassle

Else when flying through carnet countries get a carnet

I second china not being worth the hassle for the most part for the temporary import and export (they still have my 5D which they thought was too professional!).

China is a bit weird.. you have to leave 10% of the value (used to be 15%)..of your gear.. you can now pay that deposit in foreign currency .. it use to have to be Renminbi ..which was a huge hassle.. you leave the money in a bank at the airport.. where I missed a flight once as the bank wasn't open on a Sunday !!...

The trouble is often the countries that are a hassle, are also places where rental gear tends to leave a lot to be desired ..even a decent tripod is difficult .. I take my own now always..

UK crews will come up against the Carnet issue when traveling in Europe, unless they come up with some smart deal. I remember having to use them all the time, a total pain trying to find customs at 2am.

Also, they tend not to be located in departures.

UK crews will come up against the Carnet issue when traveling in Europe, unless they come up with some smart deal. I remember having to use them all the time, a total pain trying to find customs at 2am.

And the un manned boarders between European countries traveling by road ..so no one to stamp it at all.. !!

The other option not discussed here is often you can drop ship items to your destination, but to be completely honest it is often substantially easier to rent gear locally whenever possible. It's cheaper than a Carnet and the baggage fees for the most part, and certainly less hassle

Else when flying through carnet countries get a carnet

I second china not being worth the hassle for the most part for the temporary import and export (they still have my 5D which they thought was too professional!).

That's ridiculous

Eh? A UK crew won't need a carnet inside the EU. You don't need a stamp in between countries, just validation when you enter.

Edit- sorry you mean post Brexit. Quite probably if the government gets its way of taking us out of the customs union.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Post Brexit though, that might change quite a few inside the EU things for UK folk I would assume- though tbh there is little news of it here in the US that i've seen.

There's precious little news of it here, because no-one has a clue.

Eh? A UK crew won't need a carnet inside the EU. You don't need a stamp in between countries, just validation when you enter.

Edit- sorry you mean post Brexit. Quite probably if the government gets its way of taking us out of the customs union.

You used to.. when I was an assistant in the 80,s you needed a carnet from the UK going to Europe and back.. and in theory it will go back to that.. I guess post Brexit..unless some freedom of movement gets sorted out .. I think it will.. such a massive cluster f*ck to work out if not..

Without a customs deal post Brexit, all those UK companies working the concert circuit will have a tough time moving from country to country everyday to a new venue, with a convoy of trucks full of lights, sound systems and staging.

Edited by Brian Drysdale

Without a customs deal post Brexit, all those UK companies working the concert circuit will have a tough time moving from country to country everyday to a new venue, with a convoy of trucks full of lights, sound systems and staging.

But that's what English people wanted, or am I wrong here? Notice I said English, not British.

Me personally speaking I'm a little disappointed about all that Brexit but what can I do. I had production company in London but I've started process of packing and moving to Italy slowly. Cheaper rent and overall still EU, since most of my clients were from EU. And, great weather of course where we will be based from May 2018. The good thing is that Scotland will be part of EU, and they have great scenery too.

But that's what English people wanted, or am I wrong here? Notice I said English, not British.

Its a bit like the US election system.. I believe more people actually voted to stay.. but by some proportional rep system the vote got through.. the current PM even voted to stay oddly enough.. no one thought it would get through.. just as no one though the tangerine twat would either.. scary times indeed..

Its a bit like the US election system.. I believe more people actually voted to stay.. but by some proportional rep system the vote got through.. the current PM even voted to stay oddly enough.. no one thought it would get through.. just as no one though the tangerine twat would either.. scary times indeed..

No, it was first-past-the-post, not PR. 52% to leave.

And no, Scotland will not stay in, it will exit as part of the UK.

Edited by Mark Dunn

No, it was first-past-the-post, not PR. 52-48% to leave.

And no, Scotland will not stay in, it will exit as part of the UK.

That what I heard too. And yes. It will separate from UK. I don't think honestly that UK will exist. As soon as Scotland leaves, Ireland will too.

Edited by Hank Vadim

A bit, maybe. But it's relevant to flying with equipment. A production company thinking of the UK might just decide not to bother because of the uncertainty- you've already voted with your feet to stay in the EU. We already have airlines, banks and insurers setting up offices in Eu countries. That's relevant to production, and not just in the UK.

I'll say no more. Just keep up to speed if you plan to come here in the next couple of years.

Edited by Mark Dunn