Upgrading an F3 in 2017?

Max Field

• Premium Member

I too am looking at an F3. They are too cheap to pass up.

Does the hdmi port output uncompressed 10 bit? And maybe 444 color?

I'm pretty hazy on the details, but I'm pretty sure you can't get 10-bit 4:4:4 from the F3's HDMI port. You'll want an SDI recorder.

Macks. Not sure...I've never seen any comparible footage of the 422 versus 444....it would be interesting.

The F3 makes great looking footage anyway.

Interesting video from 2011

Great find! Thank you.

I too am looking at an F3. They are too cheap to pass up.

Does the hdmi port output uncompressed 10 bit? And maybe 444 color?

I agree that the F3 is an incredible bargain! (especially in my case where I purchased it a couple of years ago for just US$1.2K)

However these days a Sony FS700 can be got for only a tiny bit more secondhand, and now that Atomos has updated the software (even in their old original Shogun, which is cheap as to buy now) that really does make the FS700 quite something for very little coin in total.

• Premium Member

HDMI does in theory support 4:4:4 - more or less every computer talks to its monitor in straight RGB - but it is rarely implemented in cameras and other film/TV oriented devices. I don't know if it is in the F3.

If I could get hold of an F3, the licence card, and a card reader, I could have a look at it!

P

• 1 year later...

I don't think HDMI supports 444, but it might give you 10bit out, though at 422. This depends on what "spec" the HDMI is however. I know on newer ones (such as the GH5) its supposed to be 422 @10bit.

The HDMI spec on the F3 is a very old HDMI spec, it seems to not even support timecode!

And the output is still only 8bit

If you want 422 (or better) or you want 10bit then you must go with SDI, and not HDMI

• 3 years later...
On 9/12/2018 at 3:07 PM, Guest Adam Bijok said:

If anyone needs this update - write on priv

Hi Adam !  I Saw your Post on CBK-RGB01 Sony PMW-F3 upgrade.
Could you please help or give any directions where to go to get this upgrade in 2022? 
Please provide any information regarding this Upgrade.
Thank You.
Best Regards,
Vladimir.