Aaton XTERA HD camera

Mitch Gross

Last time I talked to Jeff he indicated that the first Kinetta should be ready for sale late Summer/early Fall. The price is going to be a good chunk LESS than the Varicam.

JP has been very slow with releasing info on the Aaton. Considering the years I knew about the A-minima and the Cantar before they were eventually made available, I wouldn't hold your breath for this year. No clue on pricing.

Wow. A great answer, thank you.

Sounds like you know enough about the kinetta to know this or point me to a link - The problem with HD I find (other than the HDcam compression) is the lack of information in the whites - almost everything else is forgivable or fixable. Does the kinetta camera avoid this?

Do you know also if these drives it writes to are swapable? Does it plan on sending an SDI signal out so that it could (after capture) be laid off to D5 or capture by an editing system?

Mark--

The Kinetta records all of it's information RAW and uncompressed in any way, so you have an enormous range of information to work with. There are certainly SDI and other ports available and the drives are housed in "magazines" that you swap out on the camera and then dock to a station to download to an edit system. Each mag holds 110 minutes of info. Come April 19th, all the info you seek will be readily available at kinetta.com. Until then Jeff has amusingly put up an old photo of Dave Garroway from the early years of the Today show.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest J Jukuzami

I wonder if Aaton abandoned the concept or what? At the Creative Cow and DV Info are guys developing HD cameras, uncompressed, with Bollex and Russian 16 mm bodies. They should be finished in couple of months. The signal will be uncompressed 1080p. Cost? Few thousand dollars, with a quality CMOS, I believe.

J, as far as I can tell - Juan's camera is a modification of the DVX100 - I'm not sure how he is doing this or tapping into it - but it is designed to simply take the sensor's signal out raw - which provides something in the neighborhood of 9xx x 5xx resolution? Obin's camera seems to be more like an even more home made version of the kinetta that will do 1280x and be put into an Arri 16mm body.

Have I interpreted the information correctly? Have you been following these threads? Do you know the current status?

There is definitely something afoot with all the camera developments - quite intriguing.

Guest J Jukuzami

I look in there once a week; I know that a company named Summix will be building a 3-CMOS camera and the guys at that site are feeding Summix with some requirements; I just hope that Summix knows better than they do. The cost is supposed to be $3000. Summix is supposedly adding also a 35 mm adapter, similar to P+S, at a lot lower cost; I read it on another board. The camera output is uncompressed.

• 5 years later...