Penelope Delta's for sale?

Carl Nenzen Loven

Hi there,

Everyone in this group was probably very sad when Aaton stopped making cameras. And I for one really wished they would have stayed on, now I was never able to work when they were active (because I was too young), but learning about all their cameras now brings some tears to my eyes not knowing they exist.

However I am a bit curious.

I know that there were made 6 (I have read 8 even) final versions of the Penelope Delta, that was sold to rental houses in the world. I have been looking everywhere if it would be possible to rent any one them, but I can't seem to find anything. The dream would be to get my hands on one to buy (even though the prices has skyrocketed since it is a collectors thing now), but I could settle for just being able to work with it once.

Anyone that has any leads on where to get my hands on one? And possibly even in the West Coast of the US?

C

This camera and the Arri D-21 had optical viewfinders and mechanical shutters. Were there any others?

Given that this transitional approach did not survive long, what killed it? Complexity? Cost?

I'm not sure that Arri agree with you.. :)

http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/cameras/camera_details/alexa-sxt-studio/

I thought there was a Sony model with an optical viewfinder too, but all I can find is the F65 with a rotary shutter...

I'm not sure that Arri agree with you.. :)

http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/cameras/camera_details/alexa-sxt-studio/

I thought there was a Sony model with an optical viewfinder too, but all I can find is the F65 with a rotary shutter...

The optical VF on the Studio is very nice, but I think ARRI have said in the past that the optical VF is something that everyone wants, but no one uses. With production schedules being what they are, and many DPs operating as well as lighting, an EVF is essential for judging exposure when there isn't time to be running back and forth to video village.

Oh dear. The Alexa SXT Studio. I stand corrected. Apparently I don't reach those rarified levels often enough.

While it sounds like Penelope Delta's are exceptionally rare, are there more D-21s still around? They show up on eBay from time to time.

• Premium Member

F65 has the mechanical focal plane shutter, not a mirror reflex shutter so there was no optical viewfinder for it. It just used an electronic viewfinder, a big clunky thing. I think they made a mod for the camera so you could use the F55 viewfinders, but I don't know how many of those are out there.

I believe Satsuki is right here.. only the shutter mechanical option.. BTW Sony have announced at NAB a new very spiffy OLED VF for the F5/55 .. from the specs and from what I read by those who had a try at NAB..looks very good.. the first OLED VF had an ok picture but the diopter /build felt a bit cheap..for a not cheap VF!.. anyway seems Sony have listened and this new one should be good..better build and Lemo power in.. I think I,ll definitely be shelling out for it..

I presume it would be usable on the F65.. ? rather than the old clunky thing they have.. if not I think it doesn't bode well for the F65,d future.. !

Edited by Robin R Probyn

• Premium Member

The one rental house in my market which had an F65 had it stolen a few years ago. We had shot the first half of a project on it, and ended up shooting the rest with Alexas. So I have no idea what Sony has done to the F65 since!

The mechanical shutter was nice, but a tad loud. You could turn it off and use the electronic shutter for low-light night exterior work. Hated the large clunky viewfinder, couldn't quite get it in the right position for handheld. It used the ENG-style plug above the lens mount. A new smaller OLED would have been nice at the time.

Thanks Satsuki, Robyn. Hands on facts trump my inaccurate recollection.

I thought that Stuarts comment provoked something poignant. With an optical view finder the photographer has direct relationship with the object being photographed. With an electronic VF he's looking at a representation of the object. (So a direct impression vs a processed reconstruction.....)

(Edit)

Edited by Gregg MacPherson

I thought that Stuarts comment provoked something poignant. With an optical view finder the photographer has direct relationship with the object being photographed. With an electronic VF he's looking at a representation of the object. (So a direct impression vs a processed reconstruction.....)

I don't deny that an optical VF is more immediate, and certainly easier to look at for long periods, but on a practical level, an EVF is almost always the sensible choice for a DP/Operator. Also, given that the Studio is an expensive rental compared to other versions of the Alexa, it's hard to justify it to a Line Producer just on the basis of either personal comfort, or a vague sense of connection to the action.

Agree as above.. optical VF looks great till you start shooting ! .. flickering away and half the light :) (runs for cover !).. its taken a while but the newer OLED EVF,s out now are very good..and a long way from the perceived notion of EVF,s.. if not expensive !..

• Premium Member

I think an optical finder with a mirror shutter is harder to judge focus on, especially once the camera is turning over. I've gotten used to focus peaking and edge enhancement for focus aids. It's also nice to see your exposure choices immediately.

However, I think a (modern) optical finder is usually better for pure framing. Not only do you usually get a look-around, but there is no lag, and you're not limited to the dynamic range of the sensor to see what's going on. Of course, if you have to look through a heavy filter pack or shoot in low-light, then the electronic finder would be better.

• Premium Member

There was alot of expectation of a "new" F65 or some sort of F55/65 combination.. at NAB.. but basically the only new hardware was this new OLED and a new card reader..! the new VF Ive been waiting for..!

So you're gonna sell your Graticle Eye then, Robin? :)