Leicar-R on Arri Mini

hello guys,

I’m shooting a project soon and due to a last minute problem I won’t be able to get the Cooke S4 lenses (on Arri Mini) I was asking for, and they are offering a LEICA-R kit instead:

• 19/2.8 ELMARIT-R
  • 24/2.8 ELMARIT-R
  • 35/1.4 SUMMILUX-R
  • 50/1.4 SUMMILUX-R
  • 80/1.4 SUMMILUX-R
  • 100/2.8 ELMARIT-R

- it's a KIT modified by DUCLOS

As anyone of you shot with these LEICA already?I watched lots of videos and read many reviews and that’s what I want to work with if I don’t get the Cooke S4 (for the style of the story I want to avoid the sharpness of something like Zeiss for instance).

I’d more than thankful if anyone has some personal opinion on these lenses.

(also, do I need an adaptor, or are they on PL?)

Thank you!

Stefano

Edited by Stefano Stroppa

The Leica R series are converted stills lenses. They are a lot smaller than the S4s. Optically, they are as sharp as you would expect Leica glass to be, and being small and light, they are great if you are shooting handheld. Downside is the lack of a consistent maximum aperture. If I remember correctly, they also have a short focus rotation, which can make life difficult for your focus puller.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Also, if the iris has been de-clicked, then it has a tendency to slowly stop down on its own. So I would recommend taping the iris ring down before rolling camera.

The focus travel is very smooth for a still photo lens, but there is very little space between marks from infinity to about 3', which as Stuart says would be hard on your focus puller. But that is true with all non-cinema lenses.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Dan Sasaki apparently rehoused a few sets of Leica Rs in PL mount for Dalsa in the mid-2000s, many of which are now privately owned. Jorge Diaz-Amador has some info about those lenses: http://cinematechnic.com/optics/dalsa-digital-cinema-lenses.

There are also the P+S Technik and Van Diemen PL cine rehousings out there.

But if your lenses are just modded by Duclos, then they are basically stock lenses with a Leitax EF mount, focus gear and 80mm front ring added, and likely the iris click-stop removed.

G.L. Optics did a pretty great job rehousing Leica Rs for PL.

http://www.glcinemod.com/english.html

The 19mm only has about a 90 degree focus rotation, but the rest of the set is quite user friendly.

Like Stuart said, they're as sharp as you'd expect Leica's to be. Quite higher contrast in comparison to S4's, and have a deep yellow hue.