Super-8 camera for traveling?

Joris van Laar

Hmm. Maybe I have different travel thoughts but having recently acquired a Leicina Super (not RT-1) I don't know if I'd view it as a travel camera. It's fairly heavy and not super compact. Granted I'm sure plenty of people have travelled and DO travel with them but I'd prefer something smaller and lighter than that since I am usually traveling via backpack only. I haven't used it yet so perhaps in my tests it'll win me over. It definitely does have a quirk or to in its operation but what Super 8 camera doesn't? ha. I do like that it reads all film speeds although I've shot 500T at 160 due to it being a Nizo and it scanned just fine. Different strokes I guess. There's always the ultra compact Super 8 cameras out there that are barely larger than a freaking cartridge!

Hmm. Maybe I have different travel thoughts but having recently acquired a Leicina Super (not RT-1) I don't know if I'd view it as a travel camera. It's fairly heavy and not super compact. Granted I'm sure plenty of people have travelled and DO travel with them but I'd prefer something smaller and lighter than that since I am usually traveling via backpack only. I haven't used it yet so perhaps in my tests it'll win me over. It definitely does have a quirk or to in its operation but what Super 8 camera doesn't? ha. I do like that it reads all film speeds although I've shot 500T at 160 due to it being a Nizo and it scanned just fine. Different strokes I guess. There's always the ultra compact Super 8 cameras out there that are barely larger than a freaking cartridge!

There is one truely lightweight from Rollei (Japan OEM). The Canon AF310XL is super light for travel and the lens is 1.0! AF works nicely but only at the start of a shot. It is 1980 or such :) The Eumig compact are compact but heavy as they are fully brass.

Indeed nice camera's and underappreciated. There is nothing awkward to them. It is just clever design to develop the forehead support option. Like on the Leicina Special, Fujica ZC-1000, Minolta autopak D-10 and possibly others.

The grip folds back for compactness during transportation and easy mouting on a tripod. The only thing might be that the grip is somewhat square when holding it.

The Super and RT-1 connect to the external controller too for maximum serious filming.

I agree with you Andries about them not being awkward! Its just most people don't agree, probably based on not actually using them.

Remember you can use the grip from the Telyt lenses on your Leicina! Can use a cable, or if you can find one, the electric release!