Dunkirk

Dan Hasson

New trailer is out and it looks great! I'm sure there will be a 70mm print in London. But I'm not sure what would possibly be a 'better' way to see the film. The choice being IMAX 70mm or 70mm.

What do you guys think?

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

It's gonna be awesome!

So far only a hand-full of theaters have signed up for 70mm releases, but I feel that number will grow very soon. Rumors are saying that Dunkirk will be a WIDE 70mm release like Hateful Eight. This is the reason for the delay on it's release, they're working out deals with theaters right now and making dozens of 5 perf prints. Unfortunately, the film release will be day and date with the digital release. We may see special engagements prior to the national release however, so everyone needs to keep their eyes open for those.

I'm also not sure about IMAX's involvement, but I don't doubt, Nolan's pull will push 15/70 projectors back into theaters that went digital, like the Chinese and NY Loews. We're more then two months away from release, so the list will change as time goes on.

wow ! where I used to go sailing as a kid in England on the East coast. .. there were quite a few boats which had Dunkirk plaques on them.. mid to small wooden cruisers .. and of course we all learnt about the victorious defeat in school !.. but this film looks great and I cant see Nolan making some jingoistic crap..

I'm really looking forward to see this one! Hopefully I'll watch it on 70mm. Recently watched Kubrick 2001 on 70mm and was blown away, also watched Interstellar on 70mm IMAX and loved the experience (but not so much the cuts to 35mm).

• Premium Member

The Providence theater I believe, isn't a real IMAX theater. It's one of those older cineplex theaters IMAX put in for the sake of expanding the brand in the digital world. I've been to it at least once, as I use to spend a lot of time in Providence and I don't recall it being a "real" IMAX theater. Same with the IMAX in Boston, it's "faux" IMAX. Just a normal theater with the IMAX badge on the door.

There have only been 4 confirmations and out of those, only 2 in the US. :(

The Providence theater I believe, isn't a real IMAX theater. It's one of those older cineplex theaters IMAX put in for the sake of expanding the brand in the digital world. I've been to it at least once, as I use to spend a lot of time in Providence and I don't recall it being a "real" IMAX theater. Same with the IMAX in Boston, it's "faux" IMAX. Just a normal theater with the IMAX badge on the door.

There have only been 4 confirmations and out of those, only 2 in the US. :(

There was a time when the providence location had 70mm... that time may have passed. Definitely isn't one in Boston, sadly.... definitely all FAUX.

LieMAX I think is the term. According to this website which was updated in January of this year, Providence does have a 15/70 screen. http://www.lfexaminer.com/theaUSA.htm#RI

In Boston, the same website says that both the NE Aquarium and Museum Of Science have 1570. That is what I know first hand, they both do. Whether or not they will screen Dunkirk is unknown. I wouldn't be surprised if another cinemas around town rents a 70mm projector for the run. It is screening in regular 70 or cinerama not just IMAX, right?

• Premium Member

Thanks for posting the info about Providence, when I was there last, it was all digital with no film projector in the window. However, it maybe an older installation, where the projectors slide back quite a ways, thus can't be seen if not used.

Are they offering a 5 perf 70mm presentation? Like the Master or Hateful 8?

Yes, they have spent the last month striking prints. I assume there will be a pretty major roll out, but nothing like Hateful Eight. We're still a tiny bit too far away for that info to be released, theater companies are still probably negotiating. If we don't have hard data in a few weeks, I'll make a call into Kodak and see what's happening.

• 2 weeks later...

New member here. I signed up because I recently had a tour of the Minnesota Zoo Imax Booth.

They had sent out an email blast that they had not received the hard drive for their newest attraction so they would show a 70/15 Imax of Star Wars: Rogue One. I arrived early enough and got the tour. The projectionists were in the process of changing the booth from Imax digital to 70mm.

The digital projectors are slid to the left on metal rails and the 70mm projector is moved about 5 feet forward into the window. Two 3 tier platter systems are to the left. All of the audio and hard drive systems are on the right.

The print of Rogue One had a 5 minute full Imax prologue of "DUNKIRK" . It was not a "trailer" but the actual prologue with a coming soon at the end. The projectionist told me they expected to get a 70/15 print in July.

The Zoo Imax is the largest screen in the upper Midwest and is approximately 60x85 feet. They show Imax science programming in the mornings and Hollywood epics in the afternoon and evening.

Saint Paul is home to a convertible Omnimax/Imax theatre at the Science Museum.

Im sorry but it's doesnt look special at all, looks like shot on digital not even glorious 70mm.

Saving Private Ryan, Red thin line,Enemy at the Gates way better than this maybe 70mm prints make difference in theathers.

I'm not troll by the way :D just say my personel thoughts

In70mm has a list of theaters showing the film in 70mm. Apparently according to them, my IMAX theater in Langley BC will be showing a 15/70 print. If that is true, that theater must of reinstalled the IMAX film projector, since it was taken out after 2012. I tried contacting Cineplex, but got no reply. No way of contacting the theater to confirm either. I'm going to see it regardless, but if its shown on film, I will be there opening night. I haven't seen a true IMAX film print since Nolan's last Batman movie.

John mentions the Prologue above, something I was fortunate enough to see in native IMAX at the BFI in London, prior to 'Rogue One'.

I, the people I was with and seemingly a huge portion of the audience were rather blown away with the imagery, so much so that a great many people came out of the film talking about that and not Star Wars as we were walking down the stairs.

​I've been trying to get to as many 35/70mm prints as I can the last few years (including 70mm Lawrence of Arabia), a luxury in London where there's actually a high number of screens and special performances that make it possible, and these 6 min were - as a cinematic experience - the single most impressive I've had.

That isn't to suggest best cinematography - that would be a lofty claim! Rather the combination of the astoundingly clear negative, impressive shots, screen size and powerful sound which work together for a unique, visceral, and physical experience - significantly superior in my eyes to 'Interstellar' and 'The Dark Knight' films that I also saw and enjoyed in the same cinema. The whole film may play out differently, story-wise and emotionally it could be a complete dud, but based on the brief images shown it truly felt like Christopher Nolan and Hoytema had achieved a much more comfortable and commanding understanding of how to utilise the large screen and aspect ratio to maximum effect. The Lean comment mentioned from above also seems very appropriate from what I saw, if it can come close to one of those epics I think we could all be in for something special.

​For those in London you may interested in the 70mm screening of the film a week early on July 13th at the Southbank with an extended intro by Nolan himself.

• 2 weeks later...

New member here. I signed up because I recently had a tour of the Minnesota Zoo Imax Booth.

They had sent out an email blast that they had not received the hard drive for their newest attraction so they would show a 70/15 Imax of Star Wars: Rogue One. I arrived early enough and got the tour. The projectionists were in the process of changing the booth from Imax digital to 70mm.

The digital projectors are slid to the left on metal rails and the 70mm projector is moved about 5 feet forward into the window. Two 3 tier platter systems are to the left. All of the audio and hard drive systems are on the right.

The print of Rogue One had a 5 minute full Imax prologue of "DUNKIRK" . It was not a "trailer" but the actual prologue with a coming soon at the end. The projectionist told me they expected to get a 70/15 print in July.

The Zoo Imax is the largest screen in the upper Midwest and is approximately 60x85 feet. They show Imax science programming in the mornings and Hollywood epics in the afternoon and evening.

Saint Paul is home to a convertible Omnimax/Imax theatre at the Science Museum.

That's cool. How did Rogue One, a digital shoot, look on a 70mm film print?

Like film, or noticeably digital?

Jesse

First I must state that "Rogue One" was an Optical print to 70mm 15 Perf film. Although the prologue for "Dunkirk" filled the entire Imax screen the R1 projection was of a Cinemascope letterboxed format similar to pre high def DVD or VHS. This still presents an image roughly similar to 70mm 5 Perf.

As far as the image Quality, I could detect no difference in image quality. I do know that for films that are shot mixed film and digital the digital portions are often overlaid with film grain to make them look more alike so that the different scenes don't have a jarring effect. Someone else can comment on that. I am not a cinematographer but have a BS in film and television from Montana State University and traveled to LA in the late 60's when MGM had their auction sale. We saw "Paint Your Wagon", "Patton", and "Airport" All in 70mm 5 perf. In my travels over the last 40 some years, I have always sought out any 70/5 presentations I could.

The recent "Hateful Eight" was disappointing to me as the screen size at the Edina Cinema was not comparable to the old movie "Palaces" where I saw these films.

The one benefit of the MN Zoo Imax is the very large screen. ( They claim the largest in the upper Midwest ) I am of a generation who witnessed the end of the "Showmanship" era of movie theatres. Main drapes that slowly rose or opened, Masking of the screen by black travelers for the previews and cartoon, closing of the drape between those and the main feature, not to mention special lighting on the main drape and pipe organ etc. All of that went away with automation.

My edition of the AMERICAN CINEMATOGRAPHER doesn't cover Imax but the description of film formats and the process of blowing up or optical printing of various formats from one to another is very informative.