Best vintage 16mm camera?

Lasse Ibsen Thun

Say, that idea of a bore examination camera is a good one! Makes sense! If you are using it for a naval gun, you wouldn't need close focus capabilities

I've used a borescope lens adapted to a Nikon. It's just a periscope arrangement- looks like a long gas pipe with a 45deg mirror at the end. Nowadays they use fibre optics but this was rigid. Like this

https://www.optronics.com/small-diameter-rigid-borescopes-industrial-grade.html

• Premium Member

Frank, I didn't post this photo before - it really adds to the "home tinkerer" aspect of the rig. He put a plaque on it with his name -

Made by J.W. Robbins

8045 Diston Street

Phila PA

That being said, it's well done in its own way. Knurled aluminum knobs and all. Curiously, it also looks like it was made to be portable, for flat surfaces. Seems like he was doing extreme close-up photography on a tabletop, something that he needed to blast with light.

Webster,

Thanks for the additional shots! Strangely enough, it could be both.

I once knew a man who as a machinist at The Battelle Institute in Columbus Ohio and he built 1/8 scale locomotives, restored silent era and sound 35mm projectors and built enormous, wagon-based carnival organs (like a caliope) that used punched cards to produce music.

However, he built prototypes of military equipment ( he never disclosed what) in his day job.

Based on that last photo, seems to me the mirrors are out of position. When angled correctly, they would throw images from the side lights out in front of the camera, with the camera lens shooting between them. There might be another component, like some sort of screen, that the rig needs.

Or, yeah, the close-up illumination idea.

Edited by dan kessler

• 3 weeks later...

In reference to the OP's original question, I've been looking at a B&H Model 627. I know Orson Welles used the 240 on many of his later films. Non-reflex, but they generally came with Taylor-Hobson glass. I've not used one, so I'm just offering them as a possibility. Perhaps some of the more informed members could sound in on the Model 627.

Thanks, most of the time when I am filming with old cameras I use a 25mm Pentax CCTV lens or a Switar 25mm lens, the latter gives sharper images, but here I think I used the Pentax. When filming wide shots like these I set the lens to infinity, though I light meter all shots, for closer shots I guess the focus distance.

Pav

• Upvote 1