Arri 16SR1 Super 16 recommended accessories

Mitch Lucas

Hey Guys,

I've been trying to fill out my Arri SR1 Super 16 for my next shoot and I am unsure of what would be compatible with my system.

I'm looking for a baseplate, and I'm not sure if certain ones are incompatible with the SR since the screw is off-centered. It's a bit confusing to me, and I am interested in attaining something lighter than the original baseplates. I'm also not sure if those would have problems if it was converted to Super 16.

I also cannot find the original hand grip, and if you guys could recommend one that people have used with this system I'd really appreciate.

Thanks for your input!

I got an original Arri SR1 handgrip from Visual Products. Cable plugs into the funny receptacle on the side of the body.

If you intend to shoot from the shoulder, there is also a pad that Arri made that screws into the tripod socket. It matches the bottom of the camera exactly and makes it much more comfortable. Maybe it isn't exactly a cat on your shoulder, but it feels less like you're carrying a 10 foot wooden plank.

• Premium Member

Good news is that there are tons of SR accessories laying around in old, beaten up drawers in rental houses.

• The Arri-made screw-on shoulder pad is slightly helpful and looks more professional than a pillow. Still not good for any extended period of time so you'll need to bunch up a towel or some other padding if it's on your shoulder for any serious time.
  • A cold shoe adapter for the handle screw mount is nice to have...allows mounting of LCD lights and monitors. People would often replace the entire handle with a well-built cold shoe, but I actually like having the handle.
  • Follow focus and same for zoom if you need it extremely helpful.
  • Look around at modern accessories built for Arri rosette mount, you'll find some nice goodies.
  • Speed controller? Several models out there. Without it you're stuck at whatever it's set on. I may have an extra somewhere.
  • More mags? If you see any SR3 mags out there I'd pick them up. A little quieter and probably less wear since they're newer.

• Premium Member

Does anyone recommend a good basesplate for the Arri SR? Other than the original? and compatible follow focus units?

As long as your lens has gearing, almost any follow focus will be compatible.

If you're pulling your own focus I found a really simple and surprisingly well-built follow focus made by Edelkrone works great with me SR2 & Zeiss 12-120 lens. Very simple, but feels nice and solid.

• 2 months later...

Hi Mitch,

I believe I have found a solution for you, although I have not purchased any of these products.

http://www.cavision.com/pictures/ArriSRII/Arri16SR&413-4.htm

If you look at the image of the Arri SR2, you'll see right below it, links to different accessories that are being used. If I am not mistaken,

these should be compatible with SR1/2.

If you wish to see pricing for these items, click on the tab at the bottom of the screen that says online order.

Hope this helps,

Walter

Edited by Walter West