The World

I'm too lazy to type, and I haven't even seen this film yet so I just pulled the synopsis off the website-Official Site

Synopsis

Acclaimed Chinese director Jia Zhangke (PLATFORM, UNKNOWN PLEASURES) casts a compassionate eye on the daily loves, friendships and desperate dreams of the twenty-somethings from China?s remote Provinces who come to live and work at Beijing?s World Park. A bizarre cross-cultural pollination of Las Vegas and Epcot Center, World Park features lavish shows performed amid scaled-down replicas of the Taj Mahal, the Eiffel Tower, St. Mark?s Square, the Pyramids and even the Twin Towers. From the sensational opening tracking shot of a young dancer?s backstage quest for a Band-Aid to poetic flourishes of animation and clever use of text-messaging, Jia pushes past the kitsch potential of this surreal setting?a real-life Beijing tourist destination. The Village Voice called Jia Zhangke ?the world?s greatest filmmaker under forty,? and THE WORLD is his funniest, most inventive and touching work to date.

Trailer:

Jia Zhangke's The World

I loved Jia Zhangke's Platform, Unknown Pleasures, and Xiao WU. He's easily one the most highly regarded filmmakers in the international community, blah, blah, blah... anyway check him out, it may be worth your while.

I saw this film in the latest BAFICI (Buenos Aires Film Festival). I didn't like it very much... I thought it was a bit too long, but I liked nevertheless the photography and the message the director tried to leave to the audience. I totally agree with Zhangke's point of view concerning our globalized world.

I don't remember this film very well... I don't really know if I didn't like it because the movie wasn't good or because I was tired, and it was my 4th movie of the day. :rolleyes:

I saw his older film in the modern art museum the other day called Xiao-Wu. It's about a pick pocket and is obviously heavily influenced by Bresson. I thought the film was brilliant. I can't wait for The World to be released in the states.