Arri 16mm BL and SR1 and 2

John Carty

I have been watching a lot of youtube videos of Arri cameras and how the film looks, I have noticed that their seems to be a lot of flashing at the start or end of a scene, almost like a light leak or something, is this a common thing with these cameras? I am sure their at a lot of members on here that may have or still own one of these models.I know most pro cameras have to get upto speed so another question is... if I wanted to shoot some 16mm reversal film just for the purpose of projecting it on the wall, not to edit, just to get the film back and show it, I am guessing that because of the speed adjustment at the start and end this would not be a good idea to use one for that.

Thanks

John

Arris take a few frames to get up to speed and to run down. So you will get a few over-exposed frames. If they trouble you, you can get a tape splicer and cut them out.

I believe Bolexes run up more quickly.

Fogging at the ends of the roll is a separate issue. There is an allowance of about 6' at each end of a 100' daylight spool which you are supposed to run off, but usually rather less is fogged. If you learn to load in darkness you can wangle a few extra feet.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

Arriflex cameras use reflex mirror/shutters which are at a 45 degree angle, not at the focal plane, so some light can leak past and fog the frame if there is a long pause between shots and the lens cap is not fitted. So you may find the last frame of a sequence will be flashed. That's why Arris are not great stop-motion cameras unless you use a capping shutter that acts like a focal plane shutter.

The time it takes getting up to speed depends on the load, it's easier to overcome the inertia of a 100' load than a 400' one, but Arri SRs should hit 24/25 within a few frames.

Flashing from daylight spool loading is something you see more with 100' load cameras like Bolexes, and will only be at the start and end of the roll, rather than between takes, and lasts for seconds rather than a few frames.

Normally people just edit out any exposure variations at the start or end of a take. With home projection, I find the flashes part of the charm of the medium.

Thanks guys for all the great info, I am a little bit more clued up now. I have been using super 8mm for many years now and I like the fact when I start and finish the shot their are no flashes, but I also like the way 16mm looks. I know I could just edit them out in post if I got the film scanned, but I would like to show them on a screen. As 1 member said its part of the charm..and I do agree with that,but I would also like an option not to have them in there between every shot. With this being said maybe a Bolex would be better suited for my needs. A friend of mine has a K3 with the super 16 gate conversion, picture looks really good but again it has some flashing at the start of every shot about 2 frames, this may be some kind of light leak who knows...so would a Bolex be a better camera? Thanks again for all the info.

John