Bolex EBM setup to record Audio on the film while shooting...

Arthur Sanchez

Hello Everyone....

OK I found this EBM the is setup to record audio on to 16mm film while shooting...

Well that's one way to get SYNC sound... It all looks very complete, but would anyone, today, still use this device?

The reason I ask is that I'm planning to remove it... but it seems a shame to trash such vintage technology.

any thoughts on this opportunity?

Arthur!

post-71166-0-71454600-1495723334_thumb.jpg

post-71166-0-79636000-1495723348_thumb.jpg

W

Never know that you could do single system sound in a EBM, camera noise would have been a problem on what is a MOS camera.

ell wouldn't that be the same as audio from a film projector...the sync point is far enough (actually the same distance) away so that it glides smoothly over the sound head.

As for camera noise... well yeah, you might be more limited... shot something louder than the camera would be perfect!

I suppose this particular camera could have been used in a duplicating or printing set up using line-in audio ( with ambient noise not being a problem ).

I wonder if our friend Simon Wyss knows something about this unique camera ?

John S <_<

W

ell wouldn't that be the same as audio from a film projector...the sync point is far enough (actually the same distance) away so that it glides smoothly over the sound head.

As for camera noise... well yeah, you might be more limited... shot something louder than the camera would be perfect!

It's the method used by news cameras until replaced by ENG video, Techniques like using a magnet to wipe unwanted sound overlaps because of the sound head displacement from the gate were part of the cutting of com mag sound .

• 4 weeks later...

I assume it can be threaded conventionally and used with the magazine. So with that restriction, assuming it's still serviceable, you could leave it as-is.

Then in years to come, when some wealthy enthusiast resuscitates pre-striped film, it's good to go.

Edited by Mark Dunn

• Premium Member

I think you might get more than the normal market value for an EBM because it's a rare variation, and looks quite professionally finished. It might even be a prototype of considerable interest to collectors, have you asked any camera collector sites or auction houses?

But it's also a bit of a dud idea on a noisy camera like a Bolex, so I wouldn't think it was worth keeping for utilitarian purposes.

• Premium Member

No-one forbids to record sound with a Kerr cell on positive stock parallel to the picture camera. That’s what was done a while ago. At least you gain some attention to the set when a truck pulls up and two young strong men lift the sound camera out.

Thank you Dom for you professional opinion...

I agree, but i think I have found a use for it...Bi-Pak printing films with sound tracks... I found somebody that is trying to do this. This could give them a big upgrade over their current method.

Using only the body... no lens mount or view finder...just the body and the mag.

Thanks Dom