Measuring the Tint of Lights

I have spent a year, on and off, attempting to find a way to measure the tint of my LED's and Fluorescents. I rented a Sekonic C-700, only to find that this was not capable of reading the green to magenta bias. This was roughly a year ago. I just called Sekonic customer support to ask if an update had been made: whoever I spoke with told me that the meter was only capable of reading Kelvin.

I have also purchased the Luxi Metering Sphere for the iPhone, pairing it both with the Luxi App and the Cine Meter II App. Every time I take a reading with this device, I receive a different response. I could stand in the exact same spot, and take the same reading twice only to receive 2 different answers.

I am at a point where I am totally lost, and feel that I cannot maximize the potential of my entire lighting arsenal.

Can anyone help?

Thanks!

Craig

Hi Craig

We made last year an independent study on photometric and colorimetric performance of LED lights published by CST in France (English & Spanish translations included) :

http://www.cst.fr/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Etude-CST-LED-2016-rapport-final-Internet-v2.pdf

For this study we used 4 different spectrophotometers :

Sekonic C700

UPRTEK MK350N+

Minolta CL-500A (laboratory spectrophotometer)

Specbos 1211 (laboratory spectrophotometer)

We measured the Magenta/Green bias with the UPRTEK, because it was the more accurate.

There are 2 UPRTEK spectrophotometers usable for film industry with the Magenta/green calculation :

UPRTEK MK350N+

UPRTEK CV-600

We didn't use the SEKONIC C-700 to evaluate the magenta/green bias because there was a problem with the former C-700 firmwares.

Maybe the last firmware update solve it ?

Regards

Yann Cainjo
DP, Photographer | Paris

Edited by Yann Cainjo

Craig,

What the C-700 can do is measure the color of your light and suggest a Lee filter gel to get you to a target Kelvin color temperature. I don't have very much experience using this feature, but I think it should be able to specify plus and minus green gels.

Stuart Allman

youtube.com/videogear

@videogearblog