American Gods

• Premium Member

Really digging 'American Gods' at the moment, very esoteric, but very engaging too.

It's gorgeously put together, and I'm really digging the contrast and shifting formats.

In particular there's this wonderful specular quality to the light, even though the shadows don't suggest direct hard lighting.

I was wondering if anyone has any guesses as to how they're achieving it? Using silver lames for bounce perhaps?

• Upvote 1

It's a really interesting show isn't it. I'm just watching it on a 23" HD computer screen, so I'm not sure if I am cognizant of the real look.

It's one of those shows where I start watching, and hope that the concept people or writers will dig deep...

Well, I'm still watching....

There was a thread I started for the best shows on TV, and American Gods deserves a mention there...

http://www.cinematography.com/index.php?showtopic=68783&p=437399

I believe that apart from the very good lighting choices and the over the top (but very creative and well suited) color grade, a fair bit of the look is the result of the Alexa + Leica Summilux-C lens package being shot wide open + extreme edge enhancement/sharpening in post.

It looks like a more subtle version of the fad that was going around digital photography circles a while back, "the Dragan effect".

Another fun thing that I noticed is that the vignettes at the beginning of each episode always seem to be shot with anamorphic lenses (Kowa maybe?) while the rest of the show is shot spherical.

http://imgur.com/a/iJqyZ - here's a few shots from the show.