Anamorphic on Eclair.

Carl Nenzen Loven

Excuse me, sir, but what have you done for underground cinema all week?

Well, I was going to use some for a music video, but the director was sort of backing out when they realised I have no video tap. And that it would take Fotokem 4 days to process.

So if you have any nice scripts lying around ;)

C

Carl, please post a picture of your camera with all the stuff on it.

Some of the Les Bosher modified Eclairs have been adapted to take rails. My suggestion to you is get some rails going and keep that Anamorphic adapter in place just like you would a matte box.

On my NPR I'm stuck with a single rail unless I want to go the Kevin Powell route.

I mean the adapter is a screw on. So unless I fit the rods tight under...it will always move with the lens...

C

Well, I was going to use some for a music video, but the director was sort of backing out when they realised I have no video tap. And that it would take Fotokem 4 days to process.

So if you have any nice scripts lying around ;)

C

No scripts, here's your storyline: a bunch of film-loving film students learn that the school is going digital so they decide to go rogue, disguise themselves, call themselves "The Celluloid Raiders" and start storming/disrupting/vandalizing digital projects by other students and capturing the mayhem on film while yelling "Death to digital". They make the news, and decide to start storming real Hollywood digital productions.

No budget allowed. Go.

No scripts, here's your storyline: a bunch of film-loving film students learn that the school is going digital so they decide to go rogue, disguise themselves, call themselves "The Celluloid Raiders" and start storming/disrupting/vandalizing digital projects by other students and capturing the mayhem on film while yelling "Death to digital". They make the news, and decide to start storming real Hollywood digital productions.

No budget allowed. Go.

I've read this movie. I've worked on it. Hell...I have shoot it and never gotten anywhere because the director is an “artist” that is never happy with the final work...

But yes. It will happen.

I've read this movie. I've worked on it. Hell...I have shoot it and never gotten anywhere because the director is an “artist” that is never happy with the final work...

But yes. It will happen.

That's why directors like that need angry producers. Add that character and production moves forward!

Ok this is the procedure for using the LA7200 with a Canon film camera with 58mm filter thread. Might work out for you.

The LA7200 is a 72mm thread, use a step-up ring for 58mm (Canon) and an additional ring extension
because the LA7200 was made for DV and the clearance for the thread is limited and wont fit directly
in the step-up ring, for the extension I use an old 72mm polarizer without the glass.

Very important:
1- keep the anamorphic fully horizontal
2- Adjust focus and recheck anamorphic lens position
3- Avoid extreme short DoF
4- At the begining of every shoot put a perfect circular object in front of the camera (draw a circle in the slate)
this will be your guide in post for 16x9 correction

In other words, for the anamorphic support get an old 72mm skylight filter, break the glass , cut away the excess metal ring in the la7200 adapter, screw on both parts, the focus ring of the taking lens will fit and allow to focus perfectly, just keep the adapter horizontal.

Edited by Samuel Berger

Well at least you know the adapter works. Even if the image is squashed down a bit more than you'd want it, that can be fixed in post. I'm not loving the transfer, though, so I'm happy you're doing it over. Did you figure out focus pulling?

That is the proper desqueeze. 1.33

The spirit Telecine we have is old, so it means some artifacts indeed. But it won't be day/night difference.

C