Bedroom rainy night

Hello,

any idea of how to light this bedroom night scene!?

1- large window behind actors that will be visible in the wide shot as background.

2- smaller windows on each side but right right side will be used and will be seen.

ps: it is raining outside.

director wants it lit naturally from outside Very light bluish white with a practical lamp on the left side of the bed but i am worried that the window is exactly behind them.

i have a distance of 15feet outside of the window.

shooting with red scarlet mx, 800 ASA. Rokinon Lenses.

Attached is the location.

and 2 references, ( lost in translation , minority report)

Not as blue as minority report.

post-72781-0-67509200-1496944609_thumb.jpg

post-72781-0-99667600-1496946625_thumb.jpg

post-72781-0-28005100-1496947737_thumb.jpg

• Premium Member

Well, it is a great location and the fact that you have two windows is even better.

What I would do first is rotate the bed and have the side of the bed by the window, that way your character/s would be side lit by the window as is Bill Murray in the Lost In Translation reference

Or you could block that window and light from the other one.

In any case if the height is not very high you could achieve that look with Rosco Panels, one by each window through diffusion.

Add the rain and you will be sorted.

You could actually make the big window the key and put an interesting net on each of the two smaller windows and just create the glow of the "moonlight" without any of the light entering the bedroom.

I shot this two weeks ago and I had two roscopanels through 2 layers of difussion out of the windows.

Alexa at 4300ºK and 1600ASA with Cooke S4.

The Roscopanels were somewhere between 5600 and 6500 I can't remember right now.

Take into consideration that these are photos that I took of the monitor so it is not as contrasty in real life and also the "moonlight" is whiter :)

Have a good day!

IMG_4214.jpg

FullSizeRender_1.jpg

FullSizeRender-1.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hello!!

Thank you so much Miguel for the detailed reply!!

we thought of turning the bed because the window is a backlight in this case but realized that both characters are turned and talking to each other at all times so the window is to their side so the light coming in is basically KEY from side.

How much is the rental of The roscopanels?!

for the lights outside, how close did you have to put the Roscopanels?? since we have set up a small rig with rain near the window? i was thinking of led but was told that it is risky because it might not give enough output to show the rain.

What do you think if i put a 1.2HMI on the big window far back with a 6x6 diffusion OPAL, and another smaller one or a joker 800 from the smaller window Or, or if any advice of

light>? and to fill i can bounce inside a joker 400 and a practical lamp on their side.

with WB set to around 4400, ( 640 ASA OR 800 for the red scarlet mx?) And i wish i could have used other lenses but director has no budget so we are using the Rokinon.

any idea of having a small light constantly with me for eyelight?! a small led diffused and dimmed would work!?

Thank you so much Miguel.

• Premium Member

I have no idea how much you have to pay for the Roscopanels.

I put the roscopanels about 2 meters away from the window, and in front of the roscopanesl there were 2 frames with diffusion.

I actually wanted to shoot this sequence with a M18 with a 4 meters by 4 meters frame with grid cloth far away from the window but I couldn't do so because of the time I was given to light the sequence.

You could easily achieve the look you're after with the 1.2HMI with diffusion, now, the diffusion you will use will depend on how hard you want the light to be.

I would say that Opal is going to give you a very hard light but you could use a 1 meter by 1 meter frame with Opal in front of the 1.2K and then use something else in the frame, something like Light Grid Cloth for example.

Hampshire is a diffusion I'm using a lot as of lately and I like it a lot!

You can use any small light for the other window, get a net for the window, that will help you a lot.

And if you want fill, you can do so with the joker 400 or 800 with no problem.

I shot that sequence at T2 1/2 (I think); I don't know anything about the Rokinon lenses but if they open at T2 you won't have problems with the amount of light you're going to get.

Make sure that the "rain" is not only water!

Regarding the eyelight I find distracting when there is more than one point in the eye but others don't so you could have a small LED wrapped or dimmed that's right.. or fill from the key side and you will get your eyelight there!

Have a good day.