WTB: Arricam lt, Arri 416, Aaton a-minima, moviecam 3 perf

Matthew Pothier

A friend and myself have been looking into buying a motion picture camera, specifically an Arricam lt, Arri 416, Aaton a-minima, moviecam 3 perf, aaton penolope. If anyone has any of these for sale or a lead on someone that might be selling one that would be greatly appreciated

thanks

• Premium Member

Arricam LT and Moviecam 3 perf, both available at Alan Gordon, here in Los Angeles.

Penelope's are worth their weight in gold, they're basically impossible to find and if you DO find one, the owner wants triple the actual value.

There is a beautiful 416 package on ebay right now, well worth checking out.

Arricam LT and Moviecam 3 perf, both available at Alan Gordon, here in Los Angeles.

Penelope's are worth their weight in gold, they're basically impossible to find and if you DO find one, the owner wants triple the actual value.

There is a beautiful 416 package on ebay right now, well worth checking out.

thanks Tyler, i have been to Alan Gordon and checked out both those cameras, thought i would do a little more searching around though. I am having trouble finding that 416 package on ebay you mentioned

i'm looking too after just shooting on one

I was amazed how cheap the workflow was and how beautiful the footage was

the arricam? yeah they are amazing, shot a low budget music video with a 3 perf version and everyone was surprised at how cheap it was

• Premium Member

thanks Tyler, i have been to Alan Gordon and checked out both those cameras, thought i would do a little more searching around though. I am having trouble finding that 416 package on ebay you mentioned

Yea, the prices are outrageous. I got my Aaton 35III 3 perf for about 1/3rd what they're charging for the Moviecam over at Alan Gordon. Ohh well.

The 416 was pulled it looks like. Probably found a local buyer... it wasn't a good deal or anything, it was just "acceptable".

May I inquire WHY a 416? You do know that film camera bodies don't really mean much. A well maintained 30 year old camera produces the same image as a brand new one. I personally went with Aaton for my cameras because they continue to have support and I like their designs. Sure, I'd love to have a 416, but mainly because it garnishes more money on rentals. To me, nothing beats the XTR Prod, which is the camera I own and use on a regular basis.

May I inquire WHY a 416? You do know that film camera bodies don't really mean much. A well maintained 30 year old camera produces the same image as a brand new one. I personally went with Aaton for my cameras because they continue to have support and I like their designs. Sure, I'd love to have a 416, but mainly because it garnishes more money on rentals. To me, nothing beats the XTR Prod, which is the camera I own and use on a regular basis.

I own an older Aaton ltr that has treated me pretty well. A buddy and myself have been talking of splitting a more "modern" film camera and try to push it on some of the jobs we are getting, and being able to use some of the features on the newer cameras is a big selling point to productions. Also like the idea of getting some rental on it. And finally it is probably the best designed camera I have ever used, a real pleasure to shoot with.

All that being said, you can probably tell we are casting a pretty wide net on what cameras to get. Nothing set in stone, those are just the ones I have enjoyed working with the most and would like to own

Edited by Matthew Pothier

• Premium Member

What features does a 416 have that an XTR Prod doesn't?

Both have S35mm viewfinders

Both have really good video taps

Both have timecode

Both have lots of P tap's of various kinds

Both have infinate speed control up to 72fps

Both have variable shutter

Both have changeable ground glass

Both are PL mount

Those are all good points, and I honestly didn't realize that camera is as capable as it is. Still think I am leaning towards the 416 if we are to go with a 16mm camera, it will be easier to sell to production and it can fit on a gimbal