BM 4k camera vs Red or Arri

Mario Bosanac

AVID has it's own advantages (like other NLEs), many professional editors use a keyboard, so their perspective may be different to those who only use drag and drop. .

https://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2014/04/02/why-film-editors-love-avid-media-composer/

https://www.raindance.org/5-reasons-video-editors-should-learn-avid-media-composer/

Although editors who have experience of both NLEs say that Lightworks has a better trim, but these things can be open to debate and personal preference . NLE dominance among the big 3 can depend on your location and editors reluctance change because they're totally up to speed with a particular NLE.

• Premium Member

AVID is the least user-friendly editor I can think of lol. Is it solely around for its stability now?

Most of the reason the industry uses Avid is due to the project/media sharing aspects, the way it uses timecode, metadata and of course; multicam. No other software does those things the way Avid does, it's pretty insane how well that stuff works with Avid.

Plus, Avid is a track based editor, so when you're working with effects, you can apply them to complete tracks or on individual clips. Features like that are lifesavers for doing things like audio mixes and bulk color correction.

Really the only downside to Avid is that you can't drag and drop anything into the program and make it work. You have to link media OR import, which takes a lot of time. For really simple things, I use Premiere or FCP7 or FCPX. For everything else, I use Avid and DaVinci.

Plus, Avid is a track based editor, so when you're working with effects, you can apply them to complete tracks or on individual clips. Features like that are lifesavers for doing things like audio mixes and bulk color correction.

Vegas Pro does this as well, which is why I keep using it. Now if Magix can get the program stable...

• Premium Member

Vegas Pro does this as well, which is why I keep using it. Now if Magix can get the program stable...

Cool, it's a great feature. I wish Premiere did it... but then Premiere won't do the other stuff.

I mean most of the time, I don't need/use Avid's professional features. However, on those occasions I do, I like to be up to snuff on using it, rather then constantly having to switch between programs which have different key commands, etc...

• Premium Member

To me, fcpx seems like a program made by some kids on acid who have no idea how a nle should work and therefore have just glued together all the first ideas coming to their minds. Like some open source programs which add lots of unnecessary and unworking features every version and remove the necessary and good working ones.. My avid experiences are more limited but it seems more like a program either made by persons who really really hate editors and want to make their life as difficult as possible, OR made by persons who really really love editors and want to aid them to keep their jobs by making a program with horrible logic and learning curve so that it is as difficult to learn as possible and no one else than the editor has ability to do anything with the program without ruining the whole project :P

("Oh you want to finish the edit by yourself? Of course you can, here's my avid... ")

To me, fcpx seems like a program made by some kids on acid who have no idea how a nle should work and therefore have just glued together all the first ideas coming to their minds. Like some open source programs which add lots of unnecessary and unworking features every version and remove the necessary and good working ones.. My avid experiences are more limited but it seems more like a program either made by persons who really really hate editors and want to make their life as difficult as possible, OR made by persons who really really love editors and want to aid them to keep their jobs by making a program with horrible logic and learning curve so that it is as difficult to learn as possible and no one else than the editor has ability to do anything with the program without ruining the whole project :P

("Oh you want to finish the edit by yourself? Of course you can, here's my avid... ")

Funny I just met one of the editor today.. he does still actually use Avid he told me.. but still needs keyboards all marked up .. as even after years of using it he still cant remember all the complex key/combo stuff..

But good point about keeping work only for editors.. used to be like that with cameras .. :).. better to keep it all expensive and mysterious from production managers and bean counters.. cats out of the bag for cameras unfortunately ..

• Premium Member

I noticed I might have been too harsh for Avid and FCPX :(

maybe I should comment the other software too so that it would be more fair comparison ^_^

FCPX: "this auto-UNsync all audio -feature is very helpful in real production environment! now we can remove all the manual controls completely! "

Avid: "we reject the reality and substitute our own!"

Premiere CC: "really boring to correct old bugs and nonworking features! let's just add couple of cool new features instead so no one will notice!"

Davinci Resolve: "no need to test if the new version is working or not. let's just throw it out and let the end user do the corrections!"

Edius: "we are pro, even if no one uses our product!"

Vegas: "if we just refuse to see the bug, maybe it will go away by itself "

Fcp7: "we planted some really nasty mines here and there which will ruin your project when you least expect it ^_^ "

• Premium Member

How much in R&D do you reckon it costs to actually repair the bugs in an editing software?

I don't have any experience in software development but I believe it is close to zero with amateur/semi-pro products like Premiere where the bugs don't necessarily need to be corrected on regular basis because most of the customers are hipsters more interested in the new cool features than actually using the software for any real work B)

• Upvote 1

Because everyone likes Alexa, right...

P

Well... I like the Alexa....

I guess if you end up having to use the Alexa then you could use the Blackmagic as a sort of B cam for as much stuff as possible to try and minimise the days of expensive Alexa rental.

Freya

AVID is the least user-friendly editor I can think of lol. Is it solely around for its stability now?

I am clearly not an editor. Have edited my own material for various needs (not for a final cut, I mean) though, on legacy Final Cut and Avid, and - much less - Premiere software. Of all, Avid was the fastest and easiest to work on.

Take trimming, for example. On many systems, it takes fiddling with mouse. On Avid - hit "S" for next cut, hit P or { or } to choose which side to trim, trim with J/K/L or M/</> keys, and press Space anytime to review the cut.

• Premium Member

Funny I just met one of the editor today.. he does still actually use Avid he told me.. but still needs keyboards all marked up .. as even after years of using it he still cant remember all the complex key/combo stuff..

Funny enough, I have a FCP keyboard on my Avid bay... so it's even MORE confusing! LOL :P

• Premium Member

How much in R&D do you reckon it costs to actually repair the bugs in an editing software?

Ohh they have teams working on all the time. I know Avid's development team is constantly fixing bug and releasing updates that actually do something.

Premiere on the other hand, they need a few revisions of just bug fixes before they should release any new features. It drives me nuts that they release new versions, fixing certain bugs and then add new features that add more bugs. This latest version with the new title tool is a disaster, nobody thought for a second about how to make it work properly. It's like they bought the FCPX title tool and thought that simply applying it to Premiere would magically make it work! Umm, no fellas... doesn't work that way.

DaVinci is completely bug ridden. People ask why I haven't edited anything in it yet and I'm like, how the F do you do anything outside of color with that program because for me, it doesn't work right. I haven't tried 14 yet, but I'm scared.

• Premium Member

I only use the 14beta because of the red helium support. It has very bad audio glitches so it may be completely unusable for mastering at the moment depending on what you do. I basically have all the other systems with 12.5 and only the single one with the 14 witch I only use when i really really have to..