Wonderful Zoom for Sale for R16mm Aaton XTR

Todd Anderson

Hello,

I have placed an excellent condition Angenieux 9.5-57mm H.E.C. T1.8 Zoom Lens on ebay. As mentioned below, this lens has the Angenieux "High Effieciency Coatings” and elements which makes for a much higher quality lens optically which is faster, shaper and produced superior contrast images than that of the older style Angenieux lenses. Even if this is the same physical body, it is a completely different breed of a lens and on par with Zeiss 10-100 T2 and Cooke 9-50 16mm Regular 16mm zooms of that era optically. The images it produces are beautiful with more of a “Cooke Look” that is more French.

Below is the link and description in the actual ebay listing. Thanks. Bidding price is $949

eBay item number:201967344966

EBAY DESCRIPTION:

“Up for sale is the rare and fast Angenieux 9.5-57mm H.E.C. "High Effieciency Coating" T1.8 Zoom. If you are not aware of the difference between the newer H.E.C. coated Angenieux lenses and the older Angenieux lenses, they are a completely different breed and have optics that are equal to that of of the Zeiss 10-100 T2 and Cooke 9-50 16mm zooms of that era. This has to do with the coatings on the lens elements and the glass. The Angênieux High Efficiency Coating (same as that used on 11.5-138 T2.3 HR and 25-250 T3.5 HR zooms) each surface of each element is multicoated. And the glass is Angênieux Fluophosphate low dispersion glass. While having a similar body appearance to that of the older Angenieux 9.5-57mm lenses, this Angenieux 9.5-57mm H.E.C zoom for sale is of much higher quality optically and is faster, sharper and produces superior contrast images than that of the older lenses.

The lens for sale here is in extremely excellent condition (both cosmetically and optically) and is a later production model with a 15xxxxx serial number. I doubt you will find another used Angenieux 9.5-57 H.E.C in this condition.

The lens was also evaluated (with a clean bill of health) by Duclos Lenses in Los Angeles and Duclos also installed a $350 ARRI-STD mount to AATON mount adapter, which almost feels more like factory mount — it feels that solid and robust. Of course, the adapter can be removed and the Arri Standard mount will be reveal if you need to use the lens with a Arri standard mount camera or install a Arri-Std mount to PL-mount adapter, etc. The lens also includes the Chrosziel lens dampener as seen on the lens in the images. This is a great lens for a regular 16mm Aaton, Arri or Eclair ACL camera. This is of course a lens that was primarily meant for a R16mm camera, as so, S16mm use will have vignetting at certain focal length and aperture combinations. The telephoto end of the zoom would of course not have issues for S16mm use. If you are anticipating using this lens at every focal length on a S16mm camera, you would be able to do so with the limitation of cropping about a 2.35 center aspect ratio and perhaps a little off the sides at the wider end.

Personally, I have shot with this Angenieux 9.5-57 H.E.C. on 16mm film and the results were outstanding. The footage telecined on a Spirit 2K at 1080p, and the shots were as nearly as sharp as my Zeiss Superspeed's in the same test and had a nicer feel. I would say this Angenieux zoom is closer to the “Cooke Look”, but “French” in character, if that makes sense. It has a really beautiful feel.

If you google " Visual Products Angenieux 9.5-57mm HEC T1.8 " you will see they have a version of this lens for sale for $2,200 without the Chrosziel lens dampener. This lens was designed for professional use when they were produced in low quantities and while I cannot find the exact figure of the original factory price, the older Angenieux 12-120mm zooms were $7,100 in 1985 dollars. I would imagine the 9.5-57mm H.E.C. sold for $10,000 at the time of its production. As so, this was a very expensive lens to make and it shows in the quality of the elements and workmanship.

Lastly, the way you can tell if 9.5-57mm zoom is an "H.E.C" is by reflecting the front element coating into the light. The normal coating (the old low contrast Angenieux's ) had just purple and / or amber colors. The H.E.C coating had more of a rainbow of colors like green, yellow and purple all in the same coating (see image #3 in the attached pictures to see some of that green, yellow, and purple I speak of). Also, the front element has a slight curvature if you look at it, where as the older style front element was relatively flat. And lastly, the serial numbers usually started with a 14xxxxx or 15xxxxx (versus the 12xxxxx, and lower of the old lenses) and the lens cap should have the newer san serif bold Angenieux type font.”

Sorry, Brian. And, sure, I will make sure it doesn't happen again.

My preference is to just keep things in the 'cine marketplace' section on here, but since this particular lens is such a good fit (and, honesty, a wonderful deal) for anyone that may have just picked up a R16mm Aaton LTR or XTR (perhaps, someone that wasn't really looking for used equipment, per se) I was trying to make sure it had a little more presence. But, no worries. I'll make certain to limit doing so in the future.