How can I accomplish this effect?

Hi,

I've been asked to shoot a commercial similar to this idea:

However in our version the actor will be walking AND talking, (which seems decidedly more difficult in my mind). The brief says they want 8-10 shots in 24 seconds. I'm sure I've seen this done before but can't find an example.

In the simple "no talking" version (as in the above example), I see that the actor's head is simply put in the "crosshairs" of dead-center and repeats the walk to camera in various locations. The editor can finesse the cuts to make it cut smoothly.

But adding a script that the actor delivers...I'm not sure how to do that because I think it will create problems in the edit if his delivery is not exactly the same each walk to camera. Some timing trick or device seems like the answer.

Any ideas or insights on how best to accomplish this? Many thanks in advance!

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

For each location he has to say the entire speech from far to near and then the editor uses the section he wants.

But first pre-record the speech and have him sync himself to it by playing it back using an earwig on every take. In post you'd use the single pre-corded take over the entire commercial so the sound is continuous. It takes some practice for an actor to get used to lip-syncing to sound playing back through his ear.

And actually if this is the only sound, you could just play it over a speaker but I think an earwig would be better, especially in a noisy location.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I'd also recommend shooting with an extra safety area all around recorded so your editor has the ability to reframe and line-up each shot precisely. In this case shooting with a format with more resolution than your finished product would help.

And use a prime lens and note camera height and angle of tilt to match to each time. Having playback operator on the day who can do frame overlays might be helpful.

• Like 1

Not sure how much use it would be.. but Zacuto Gratical EVF,s.. which can be used with most cameras..SDI or HDMI... have a function that you can have a playback image frame, and a live image in the VF at the same time..might be handy for lining up your actor.. they are relatively cheap too compared to other HD rez OLED finders ..