Red surprises everyone

• Premium Member

The title of this thread was supposed to be "Red surprises everyone with ‘hologram’ phone...."
Don't know why it keeps truncating the title. It doesn't happen to other people's posts.

http://www.kbc.co.ke/technology/red-surprises-everyone-hologram-phone/

Or read it here on Reduser:

http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?159541-HYDROGEN

Be interesting to see how this pans out.

OK it's not the Falcon Heavy, or the humongous Lithium battery Tesla are about to deliver to South Australia, but it could go somewhere.
What about realtime R3D playback, Jim? I'd be impressed with that.
After all, my three year old Samsung Galaxy S5 already shoots 4K video, and the latest ones even have proper 4K AMOLED screens.... :rolleyes:

For my money, a real "killer App" would to have a phone with three or four separate image sensors with different focal length lenses, a bit like the lens turrets on early TV cameras.
You could have one camera selected as the main source, with the others appearing as superimposed "thumbnails". Tapping on one of those would then make that one the main feed. There used to be a few consumer video cameras that, in addition to the usual zoom lens, had a separate sensor with a fixed-focus wide-angle lens. The fixed-lens image also had a superimposed rectangle that showed what the zoom lens was capturing. Properly used, cutting between the two could vastly improve the professionalism of home movies.

I tried to suggest that idea to Samsung, but the only reply I got was Spam :D

It could revolutionize TV news gathering, once people learned to stop shooting "pillarbox" all the bloody time. (What about a TV mount that can automatically recognize pillarboxed video and rotate the set to suit :rolleyes: )

Holographic movies to watch at home would be very nice, ala Minority Report. On a phone?? Who knows. Maybe they can create a whole new market for consumers to make the afore mentioned home movies. They probably are going to have a pro version hologram cam for Hollywood. As I often say, "we are living in a Sci-Fi movie". Just think where this tech might be in 10 years!!

Enough zombies already walking the streets of NYC and riding the subways mesmerized by games, FacePlant, movies, Twitter, etc., etc on their phones. Oblivious to the world around them. We don't need holo-phones.

I saw a women kick I guy in the ass because he stopped abruptly on the steps in front of her to check his phone. Two swift kicks with her pointy shoes right up his ass. I applauded. She had someplace to be and time was important to her.

I have places to be as well.

Cant see this one flying.. whats amazing really is how little anything has changed in 100 years.. re how films are made and viewed.. film cameras haven't changed ,digital cameras pretty much the same as film cameras.. sensor/gate.. 24p is still the standard .. lenses are the same.. people see them in a big dark room.. even 3D has tried and failed a couple of times let along holograms .. if anything 70mm is coming back film and digital .. I dont think people want anything fancy really.. big with alot of action, and/ or a decent story..on a flat screen.. escape their daily woes and have a good time.. hasn't it always been so..

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I also can't see holographic content being popular, why would anyone want to watch partially opaque images, where anything that happens behind the projection can be visible and distracting.

Clear two dimensional content delivery, on screens or paper, to be read or watched, is not going anywhere. Why? because it's easy. You can see the information you need, and it requires very little effort. You can look away at any time, it's just simple.

• Premium Member

I'm wondering what they mean by "hologram" phone.

While it is theoretically possible to display "motion" holograms using an ultra-high-resolution monochrome LCD panel and a compact laser, I can't imagine how it would be possible with a phone, unless you either had the laser as a separate module, or you put some sort of mirror next to the LCD.

Capturing footage would be a real challenge, since as far as I know, for a hologram the capture medium or device has to have the same dimensions as the subject. You'd have to have a movie camera that takes A4 sized film to shoot pictures of people's heads for example.
The memory requirements would be crippling, but somehow I think that would be the least of your worries....

All they need to satisfy their fan base is a phone with a micro-HDMI input & output to be used as a monitor/recorder in airplane mode. That and super long removeable batteries that are flat and lightweight and I'd put an order in for sure.