Walter West

Hello,

I purchased an Arri SR2 Super 16 and wanted to frame for 1.78 viewing. Someone told me that I would need a viewing screen (ground glass) in order to do this, but I am unsure of what this is exactly. Can anyone tell where this ground glass goes on the camera; do I need to have it professionally installed, and do they still sell them?

Also, I was also wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a video monitor that records (for playback purposes only) that can connect to my video tap (XC999).

Thank you,

Walter

P.S. This is my first post. Forgive me if I am in the wrong section.

The ground glass is a piece of frosted glass in the viewfinder. When the mirror shutter is closed, it projects an image onto the ground glass, which is what you can see in the viewfinder. The frame markings are etched onto the ground glass. It is possible to purchase ground glasses for the SR cameras with a variety of markings, but it's worth remembering that s16 has an aspect ratio of 1.66:1, which is pretty close to 1.78:1 anyway, so you may wish to use the existing markings, and just remember that the very top and bottom of your frame would be cropped for 1.78:1