What's it like: Cooke Varokinetal 9-50mm

I've only ever used the Super 16 conversion of this lens from Du-All here in NYC, but I can say it's easily one of my favorite lenses that I've ever used. Excellent weight and form factor, good speed for most applications, and it has the beloved "Cooke Look." Honestly hope to purchase one for my own personal use someday, it's that damn good!

Admittedly I have only used it on digital cameras (RED in 2K/3K mode depending on the model) but I was blown away by the images I was able to get out of it. I can dig up some stills from a project I shot with it later on tonight when I get home from the office.

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

I've only ever used the Super 16 conversion of this lens from Du-All here in NYC, but I can say it's easily one of my favorite lenses that I've ever used. Excellent weight and form factor, good speed for most applications, and it has the beloved "Cooke Look." Honestly hope to purchase one for my own personal use someday, it's that damn good!

Admittedly I have only used it on digital cameras (RED in 2K/3K mode depending on the model) but I was blown away by the images I was able to get out of it. I can dig up some stills from a project I shot with it later on tonight when I get home from the office.

would appreciate some stills yes.....thanks for taking the time....

Edited by Stephen Perera

• 1 month later...
  • Premium Member

https://vimeo.com/46914629

Film test above all shot 9-50 on Aaton XTR

I use the 9-50 - if you take off the front matte ring it will cover S16 from about 15-50 - bit of vignetting on the wider lengths.

Thank you very much for the footage.....it definitely pops the character from the background and looks very 3 dimensional cooke look to me.....thanks for taking the time and effort!!!