Canon Auto-Zoom Expore Question/Problem

Scott Morrison

Hi There,

I recently bought a Canon Auto Zoom 318m camera from eBay. Everything on the camera works and functions as normal, however when I got some film back from development & scanning I noticed that the film was very warm/orange tinted. I wondered if it had something to do with airport security scanning as I tested the camera out while on holiday, however when I tried another reel of film the results were pretty much the same; it was as if I had put a very rich orange/red filter over the lens.

The film I used was reversal Wittnerchrome 200D film which I understand is daylight balanced, so I wondered if that had something to do with it? I'm also aware that cameras have an 85 filter and I wondered if that was the issue somehow? (If it's also worth mentioning, I shot different scenes during both day and night).

I'm a student and I'm fairly new to using super-8 and analogue filming and so I'm still getting to grips with the functions of the cameras and the differences between daylight and tungsten etc.;

I'm basically just curious as to what might have made my film come out very orange and if its a technical problem with the camera that might need fixing. I've got some Kodak Vision3 200T film which I'd like to use soon and I was wondering if I'd see different/less orange results when shooting on tungsten; I'd like to know before I end up spending more money on another orange reel!

Sound like the 85 stayed in.

But the WC200 cartridge isn't notched below the gate, so the filter should have swung out. Perhaps there's a fault with it.

Have you actually looked at the film? Is it orange or is it just a faulty scan?

Sound like the 85 stayed in.

But the WC200 cartridge isn't notched below the gate, so the filter should have swung out. Perhaps there's a fault with it.

Have you actually looked at the film? Is it orange or is it just a faulty scan?

Hey, thanks for the reply.

I ran the film through a projector to see and it was still the same; all very orange/red.

So if a film is tungsten balanced I'm guessing it isn't notched and keeps the filter in tact? Would that mean I'd get another very rich/warm film reel if I were to expose it?

No. If there's no filter notch the filter should be removed.

Tungsten film requires the 85 in daylight. The cartridge is notched below the gate so the filter stays in.

Try pushing the filter button inside the camera- it can be tricky but you should be able to see the filter moving, either through the lens or the gate. If it isn't, there's your problem. There will be a filter switch elsewhere, for removing the filter manually to shoot in tungsten light. Try that.

If the filter is working properly, I don't know what can be amiss, unless the cartridge was incorrectly notched.

• 1 month later...

Back again,

I thought I'd upload a video of the footage I shot; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FIRtLWOkhM

As you can see the footage is quite orange/umber toned. I also noticed that the footage shot was very jumpy, could that be something to do with the film fitting loosely in the camera and jolting around? And as for the quality, I didn't pay that much to have it scanned, I believe it was around £8 for one reel; is the low quality a result of the quality of the scanning or the camera itself?

Apologies for the row of questions, I'm still getting to grips with super 8! If anyone has any info or answers that could help me I would greatly appreciate it.