Advise on choosing either a TV Drama or a Commercial

Miguel Angel

• Premium Member

Hi guys!

I wanted to open a new thread because I am in quite a conundrum and I need some advise so I thought that this would be a great place to find it.

I have been asked to shoot a Tv Drama and a commercial at the same time.

Both directors are friends and the payment is almost the same.

Tv Drama is 4 weeks, commercial is 2 weeks in Spain and Malaysia.

The director who asked me to shoot the commercial has given me a lot of work through the year and we have been preparing the commercial for 3 months now.. and I'm looking forward to shooting it.. but we have pushed the dates twice already.. and I just found out that the dates are going to be the same as with the Tv Series.

On the other hand, the director who has asked me to shoot the Tv Drama gave me the chance to shoot my first movie this year and has invited me to shoot the tv series for him.

Hence, here is the dilemma! I want to shoot both but I can't and I have to choose one.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated :)

Thank you!!! :)

• Premium Member

That's the nicest kind of problem to have. But I think if I were in your shoes I'd have to go with whoever booked those dates in first. It sounds like the drama show did (and delays with the commercial have pushed it into the same timeframe).

• Upvote 1

Where do you want your career to go? Do you want to do more narrative or more commercials?

I believe the project you choose, given you situation, will push your career more into the direction.

Congrats on such a happy problem!

• Upvote 1

I would agree with Mark and Brian .. I think their are times when you have to paddle your own canoe.. if one job is a massive break for your career.. compared to another.. but if thats not the case.. I think ethically it has to be the drama.. if thats the original dates agreed to.. and they haven't been changing it too.. it seems the commercial dates will most likely change again anyway.. any shoot thats changed its dates twice already, I wouldn't be betting the farm on ever happening.. then you lose both.. the worst scenario ..

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

The one which pushed into the other has to go, says me, but it is a tough call and I am in really no position to comment on how to further a career if anything you should be giving us advice on how to get stuck in your situation lol.

• Upvote 1

pushed the dates twice to help you or just in general?

Once you have made your decision about which to go with I would still urge you to try and reschedule dates on the other, or at least to try and see if something can be sorted. Maybe there is still a way to have your cake and eat it somehow because it sounds like both of them are really important but do be careful not to upset BOTH parties somehow.

In short:

Work out which is the one to go with and keep talking with the other.

Maybe there will be a way to make it happen somehow.

Freya

• Upvote 1

• Premium Member

Thanks for all the answers.

The TV Drama booked me first and the commercial pushed its dates twice because of different things (none related to me Freya) so as Freya suggested I'm going to try and see if the dates on the commercial can be pushed again (third time lucky right?) and I can shoot both :) or else, it is the Tv Drama!

At the end of the day.. narrative always wins! :D

Thank you! :)

• Premium Member

Haha don't think that will happen ever but I would choose to go to the Oscars!

I used to think that I was really bad at being in parties and that stuff, all the small talking, etc.. but a super good friend of mine pointed out that it was just that everybody else was drunk and I was sober (because I don't drink) and that people usually didn't remember anything at all after partying that hard.. so I started to be super talkative (talking about the weather and etc) and it improved my social skills a lot :lol: :lol:

I also started to see a pattern, when I'm talking to a person who is drunk.. that person usually keeps repeating everything and asking the same questions because he / she doesn't remember!! so I have a lot of fun giving different answers for the same question :D

Parties are really entertaining! ^_^

• 3 months later...
  • Premium Member

I said I would give ye a heads up.

I choose the tv series over the commercial, however both productions agreed to work on the dates so I could shoot both.

Hence, I shot the commercial.. and other 4 more and I’m starting the TV Series next year! Couldn’t be happier!

Have a lovely day guys!