Spectra Cine IV plus spot meter v Sekonic 858-D

• Premium Member

I want to 'upgrade' my Gossen Mastersix to have incident/spot meter all-in-one and am looking at two models (for use in both stills and motion picture FILM and digital use):

I'm looking at the Spectra Cine spot meter (the IV with the spot adapter) against the Sekonic 858-D

Looking to get experienced user comments as opposed to buying into the marketing they have published....obv the latter is a veery new meter

Thanks in advance

While i think the Spectra IV is a fine incident meter,
i would not bother with using attachment for spot metering.

I would go the two separate units route, or buy a combined meter ranging
from the Sekonic 608 upwards, or (Konica) Minolta VI (2nd hand),
it's rebranding as Kenko KFM 2100, or the slightly upgraded KFM 2200.

As for the 858, it looks like a very fine instrument.

What worries me personally is the boot time,
since i'm enjoying the instant startup of my Minolta VF.

From what i've seen in videos it isn't that bad,
plus the manual says you can skip the startup screen by touching it.
Might be totally non-issue for someone/most/in practice...

Maybe someone who already has one can chime in.

What worries me personally is the boot time,

since i'm enjoying the instant startup of my Minolta VF.

From what i've seen in videos it isn't that bad,

plus the manual says you can skip the startup screen by touching it.

Might be totally non-issue for someone/most/in practice...

Maybe someone who already has one can chime in.

The boot up time is about 2 seconds. If the meter sit for a couple of days without being powered on, then the boot up time is about 3-4 seconds when its first powered on, then it's back to about 2 seconds after that. I don't think 2 seconds is that long, but I've read many ppl say that that's too long for them. I figure if I know I need to get a meter reading, if I pull it out and turn it on as I'm walking to the location I need to meter, the meter will be ready to go when I make it there. I haven't had any issues with that logic so far. It's a very nice meter, but I don't have anything to compare it to since its my first meter.

I'm looking to buy my first meter and have been looking at Sekonic and Spectra. I have been leaning towards the Sekonic 858 because I like the spot meter combo option. I heard someone say that the Sekonic 758 could not read as low as the Spectra. Does anyone know if that is still the case as the Sekonic 858? I'm still building my understanding of the specs so any more experienced opinions would be appreciated.

• Premium Member

I'm looking to buy my first meter and have been looking at Sekonic and Spectra. I have been leaning towards the Sekonic 858 because I like the spot meter combo option. I heard someone say that the Sekonic 758 could not read as low as the Spectra. Does anyone know if that is still the case as the Sekonic 858? I'm still building my understanding of the specs so any more experienced opinions would be appreciated.

watch the stuff on youtube about it.....its probably the most advanced meter in the world right now...I think the Spectra is riding on the fact its made in America and all the rest of it.....although I have never used one...have always had GOSSEN myself....the Mastersix and the Spot Master II back in the day