Miniatur Model Photography

Hey Everybody

I'm right now in preproduction for a commercial and I was wondering if anyone has some advice for me.

The commercial is going to be one long shot in which the camera "fly's" true a built model-world.

Model size 5-20cm high around 0.5m wide over a distance of 1.5m.

My plan is to have a GFM Secondo Dolly on tracks, parallel to the model. Rig the camera out over the model by using a U-Banig or similar and use a PL-snorkel to get deep into the built world...

Unfortunately we can't afford a remote head or Motion Control.

What are your thoughts. Is it possible to "fly" smooth thru the model "only" by manual dolling, (traveling and boom) and operating on a fluid head?

Further, what Snorkel lens would you recommend?

The cheap one would be the "Periscope Century 2000" with standard lenses. Unfortunately I don't think that even a 1:1 Makro will be close enough...

I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts!

Philipp

Edited by Philipp Kunzli

• Premium Member

one thing which could be done would be to move (dolly) the model instead of the camera if the lighting etc. allows this. if you are experiencing operating problems with the ubangi setup this could solve a lot of issues though with booming up/down at the same time it could not be practical... but it would allow you to for example lean on a platform over the model to operate the head and would be a lot easier to get stable shots.

Of course you could attach the model to the boss/mitchell mount of a hydraulic dolly so that you can also boom it up and down and keep the camera fixed :lol:

• Premium Member

I don't think you'll find anything beyond 1:1 in a snorkel if you want the lens small enough to pass through a miniature, you'd need a bigger model if you want it to look bigger.

I used to work at a rental house that had 3 high end snorkel/periscope systems.

The P&S Technik T-Rex can take PL lenses and has very versatile configurations but you probably want something like the Optex Excellence or Cinemagic Revolution that have small custom lenses. They all have different features like the ability to zoom or pan or do a complete roll etc. It probably depends on what your local rental houses can supply. There are also cheaper Innovision snorkels that might do the job.

I don't think you'll find anything beyond 1:1 in a snorkel if you want the lens small enough to pass through a miniature, you'd need a bigger model if you want it to look bigger.

I used to work at a rental house that had 3 high end snorkel/periscope systems.

The P&S Technik T-Rex can take PL lenses and has very versatile configurations but you probably want something like the Optex Excellence or Cinemagic Revolution that have small custom lenses. They all have different features like the ability to zoom or pan or do a complete roll etc. It probably depends on what your local rental houses can supply. There are also cheaper Innovision snorkels that might do the job.

I think the T-Rex is to big for the model - and it's definitely more in the way of the Opted System. ARRI Cologne has this one and I'll check it out the next few days...

Moving the model Instead of the Camera is a nice idea, but as you said, I do think that the boom-up is easier with the camera on the dolly...

THX a lot for your support! Philipp

Edited by Philipp Kunzli