Auto Image Stabilization

Robert Feight

Hello. I did a few Google searches for the following question and came up empty handed. Maybe I'm not using the correct terminology, but even my search here on this site was unfruitful.

Anyways, I'm trying to figure out if Auto image stabilization is standard practice for cinematography. It seems as though all of my footage, regardless of how careful I handle my rig, ends up jittery. It's an FS700, if that matters.

• Premium Member

Not in cinematography, no cine lens uses image stabilisation. It's a stills photography tool to avoid blur when handholding a camera and using slow shutter speeds. Some ENG lenses used a form a gyroscopic stabilisation, but that's different to what you find in stills lenses.

These days with more people shooting video on cameras with stills mounts like Canon EF it's possible image stabilisation gets used a bit, but that's outside my area of expertise. I suspect it doesn't help with stabilising shaky video so much as stabilising individual frames.

can your camera output 4k? if so and you are finishing to HD, then shoot in 4k and you will have all the resolution you need for stabilization in post. More consumer cameras have built in stabilization that is used during production. I have used a Canon Vixia HF s100 on occasion and it has such a feature. It works rather well.

Okay, video frames not being the same as individual photographs makes sense. Still, I'm pretty sure the FS700 has a setting for image stabilization for videobut I could be entirely wrong. As a part of the camera body as opposed to in the lens. I'm any case, it's good to know it's not commonly used in general.

Yeah, the 700 can shoot in 4K with something like an Odyssey 7Q, but not stock. Might be time to seriously consider the add-on.

Canon has launched cine lenses with image stabilisation. Canon CN-E 18-80 t4.4 costs some 5K+ USD. There is a servo style zoom for eng kind of zooming as well.

There is also and Canon CN-E 70-200 t4.4 which is not yet available. These lenses are made for s35 sensor coverage and are much better than the still lenses. You can easily rent from your local rental agency and check how it works.