DCP SETTING FOR 1920x1080 Prores 422HQ 2:39.1 Ratio

Giorgio Taricco

Hello gents,

just a couple of simple questions as I've really not any knowledge about DCP and projectors.

Is it correct that I need to set the Davinci output blanking to 2:39.1 ratio to have DCP files with the same ratio of what I see on my iMac on Davinci and the resolution would be 2048 x 858 2K DCP?

Also, my frame rate is 25 fps, could be a problem?

Finally, don't know if I will be able to convert to DCP, in case I will not, can I use the Prores 422HQ file for the projection or I need to convert to .264? Blu Ray will be an option or I will loose too much quality?

Thanks as always for your help.

Giorgio

Prores files can only be projected off a computer (e.g Macbook) - most cinema servers won't be able to project prores.

However a lot of cinema projectors have HDMI and or SDI inputs so its not too difficult to jerry rig them to play Prores for special screenings. With a prores screening the colours might not be as accurate as DCP since the gamma of rec-709 is different.

DCP is simpler since thats what cinemas are used to getting and in theory if your file conforms to spec it will work. 25fps isn't technically supported by the DCP standards committee so it might not work. However I've made a few home brew DCP's at 25fps that have played fine in cinemas. Its a risk but a lot of cinema servers are fine with 25fps even if its non standard.

Both prores and DCP are going to look better then Blu Ray. But with careful mastering blu ray can look decent.

If you can make friends with your local cinema I would do some tests, see what works for you.

If you're not going to make a DCP, you will need to check with the projectionist if they can project material from outside their DCP server. Probably the answer is yes, but many projectionists don't know how do do this. It will require resetting the projector menu for REC709 probably. There is usually a preset in the projector menu for this. The projector might or might not have HDMI inputs. You may need a device to project through SDI or even DVI like for a computer monitor, and you'll need to have the correct cable. And audio will be another issue altogether! You're going to need to do a bit of testing before your screening. If your venue is already set up for bluray, and they have a player all hooked up, this can be done and it looks quite good. You'll need to make an HD version of your film for Bluray though.

It's best to get a DCP made these days and be done with it. REC709 is fine for a master to be converted to DCP format. If you have the choice, make your master in ProRes 4444 instead of ProRes 422. I've always done this with an uncompressed master such as 10 bit .dpx sequences. Since your movie seems like it's in "scope" format, 2048x858 is the correct size.

I just completed a DCP-mastering for a short film I'm doing post work on... I take it your not doing the actual DCP conversion yourself? If not, you'll need to check with the authoring house on what formats they wish to receive. I'd say its pretty safe to export your project as 16-bit TIFF image sequences in 2048x858 aspect ratio.

As for projectors playing non-DCP material. Yes, most can. A local cinema here actually allows you to rent a screen, and play XBOX games on the screen through the projector. As Bruce said, each projector will have different means of accomplishing this. For some it's as simple as plugging in an HDMI - other require routing through the digital cinema server itself. Audio will also depend on the setup, since most of the time the sound system and the projector are two different things in a cinema. If you're running the non-DCP through the DCP server, it might well map the audio. If not, the theatre might have to patch into their own system.

Bottom line is, you'll need to talk to the theatre in question and find out. There are too many variables.

Yeah audio can be an issue with using the SDI or HDMI inputs.

I did a screening at the local cinema with Macbook via HDMI directly into the project. To get the audio in we had to use the headphone out of the mac and use the "non sync" inputs on the cinema audio processor - by unplugging the CD player they had for walk in.

sourround sound would be another problem

• Premium Member

It's generally possible to get into the surround system but you'll often need to provide the signal as four AES pairs on XLRs with appropriate routing. This can often be done using a USB or Firewire audio interface.

Macbooks are not the solution to everything. In fact I'm increasingly convinced they're not the solution to much.

P

Agreed on the macbook - I'm on my last one. It currently has HDMI and the SxS port letting me use an Aja I/O for SDI video. But the new generation of dongle town macs are a deal breaker for me. I've been hanging on because I really like FCP 7 - but thats become increasingly unworkable and I'm having to use prem more and more to cope with newer formats without transcoding.

I did spot a slight sync issue in the cinema going off a laptop using headphone audio and HDMI ins. The projector (barco i belive) had a couple of frames delay, causing the audio to lead - so had to make a master with the audio slipped a couple of frames back.

Probably better to go the DCP route. I've also increasingly found cinemas don't have competent projectionists. In the past you could get someone that would let you plug stuff into the projector and audio processor and now they fall to peaces at the mention of anything non standard. God forbid you try and get them to set up a custom lens setting so you can fill the screen properly. Using the non sync input for audio isn't great and won't necessarily have the dolby matrix applied. But it scares the cinema managment less.