Moviecam SuperAmerica 35mm package for sale

Austin Schmidt

For Sale MovieCam Super America MarkII 35mm Camera Package

Full gate ground glass w/ Movieglow system for all frames; 1 inch onboard monitor w/

B&W video assist; 9" external monitor; 2x bnc w/ adapter assortment; top load magazine

adapter; 2x 1,000ft. digital mags; 2x 500ft. digital mags; spare circuit boards; Cooke 20-100mm

T3.1 zoom lens in PL mount; Century Prec. 14mm T2.8 prime lens in PL mount; 3x customized

24V battery packs w/ chargers; bridge plate w/ long, medium and short rods; Arri 6x6 3-stage

mattebox; 6x coral filters; 3x fog filters; Chroxziel studio follow focus; right hand pistol grip;

multiple carry handles; 2x 4 to 4 pin XLRs; Mitchell/Arri geared head with tilt wedge; Ronford

F15s fluid head; Ronford HD tall and baby sticks w/ 2x spreaders; high hat; cases for all

equipment. Purchase price $65,000.

It has been a long hard decision to make. However, I have chosen to go back to school to get an MFA in cinematography at AFI. Because of the loan I took to purchase the camera, I will not be able to afford the monthly payments (which are low by any standards and have been easy to make while shooting full time) however will not be able to make while attending school. I have loved owning this camera, it is in such good condition and because Moviecams are wonderful with their simplicity. It was a risk purchasing this camera however, unlike many people on this forum who have spoken before, I highly recommend purchasing a quality rig such as this to further one's young cinematography career. Over the last year, I shot over 20 films, commercials and music videos (all on 35mm with this camera) I was able to make a living full time as a cinematographer right out of undergraduate school. If anyone is interested, I can certainly connect the individual with the loan company I worked with as they are wonderful people who work with film equipment loans all the time and who give great options. Please feel free to visit my company website at to view footage shot with this camera.

• Premium Member

You own a 35mm sync-sound camera package and have been shooting professionally for years with it and supporting yourself with cinematography work... uh, excuse me, but what's the point of going to film school at this point??? The degree itself is meaningless in Hollywood -- the point of film school is to get experience, make connections, etc. to get the ball rolling on a career. It sounds like you are years beyond the need for a film school education.

• Upvote 1

That's why it has been a long hard decision David. Although I have been doing this for awhile I have been doing it my way and my way only. I have learned cinematography through my own successes and mistakes, especially here in New York. There are many ways to approach cinematography and as long as I only know my way, my "pallate" of skills will only become so large. The thought is to learn from other, more accomplished cinematographers during grad school who have worked in different arenas then I have. Techniques seem to be very different between the coasts and I would love to experience and learn both, giving me more to draw from. Of course, having connections on both coasts will be a wonderful addition and because I have had the career/business experience for awhile, I hope to get the ball rolling even faster after my transition to LA. Although I have accomplished a lot during the short time I have been in this occupation, I am still at a very young age (25) and still desire a mentor-like relationship which is certainly not possible in Manhattan.

• Upvote 1

I tend to agree with David. You have so much more experience than anyone you will meet at AFI. It may cost you 50 or 60,000 bucks in tuition and living expenses for each year. Why not keep your camera and just move to LA, and keep working.

The only thing it may buy you is connections with young filmmakers and producers.

Why do you think there is no possiblity of any mentor like relationships in Manhattan. There are plenty of NYC cameramen in NY. Many have houses or apartments in LA too. Michael Ballhaus, Fred Elmes, Paul Cameron, Bobby Bukowski, Eric Schmidt, Lance Accord, John Bailey, Pat Cady, Jim Denault, are a variety just off the top of my head, of guys who live in NY, have lived in NY, or own apartments so that when they do work in NY they have a place to stay. Though Jim Denault and Patrick Cady just moved to LA in the past year or so. Actually Fred Elmes moved back to NY from LA a few years ago.

God only knows how many come in from all over the world just for a job.

I'm sure you get my point. There are certainly worse places you can live.

And if you are member of 600, you would have access to the roster with all their phone numbers.

Good luck

Tim

Edited by heel_e

Hey Schmitt, how much principle do you have on the camera, and how much are the payments? You might be able to get someone to take over payments. Shoot, if the price is right, I'd do it myself.

Beyond that, you're in NY? What are you doing this winter? (tee hee)

I have no experience whatsoever, but it seems like putting all of your effort into film school at this point really is pointless. Not to mention the fact that you have a kick-a$$ camera kit!

Use your effort and time trying to make connections, attach yourself to some decent projects and most importantly, just keep shooting.

I'm sure there are many DP's out there in the exact opposite situation you are in that have the degree you want but would kill for their own equipment - let alone a package like yours.

Nate, if you are truly interested feel free to email me personally as I don't want to talk about financial particulars on an all-access forum.

Jon, I don't believe that by owning a camera package, a person all of a sudden becomes a better or more successful DP. Having graduated from NYU's undergrad film program and having owned a package have given me connections and opportunties to advance my knowledge and experience, however, I believe that by switching coasts and returning to school I will be able to have different opportunities and meet different/more connections. It will certainly make it easier to become bi-coastal. It will take less time to accomplish my goals rather then strike out on my own in an unknown area. I firmly believe that hard work only gets you so far in this business. It is also who you know.

David and Tim, thank you for your advice. As I said earlier it is a very hard decision, but the one thing I am confident in is that neither decision is a wrong one and I will do fine either way.

Edited by A.Schmidt