Sony Venice full frame cinema camera.

Brian Drysdale

I think it's been stated that other cameras with much smaller bodies manage to accomplish more impressive data rates. Again, unless I didn't read the tech specs properly, the internal data rates are no more than an FS7 which is an entirely different class of camera.

XAVC Class 480 produces very big files, and that amount of data is overkill for a lot of productions. Yes, it's the same codec as in the FS7, but that's because the FS7 punches well above its weight in this regard.

Isnt the bit rate for Class 480 , ~400 mbs 10-bit?

Is ProRes 444 @ UHD ~1000 mbs 12-bit?

Im not questioning the quality of the FS7 or the codec. Im just a little confused why a top-of-class ~$50,000 cinema camera body maxes out at 10-bit, 400 mbs when competitors like the Arri Alexa Mini and Red Epic-W and Weapon manage higher bit depth and data rates in smaller bodies.

Class 480 is 480Mbs at 24/25/30.. and 960 at 50/60.. Yes fs7 doesn't have 480 (yet?).. I guess the idea was if you want 16 bit you add the A7.. it fits on without any cables and could be considered "one" camera body .. Venice is pretty small body.. way smaller than the Alexa or LF.. its more compact than an Amira come to think of it..

Class 480 is 480Mbs at 24/25/30.. and 960 at 50/60.. Yes fs7 doesn't have 480 (yet?).. I guess the idea was if you want 16 bit you add the A7.. it fits on without any cables and could be considered "one" camera body .. Venice is pretty small body.. way smaller than the Alexa or LF.. its more compact than an Amira come to think of it..

I didn't realize Class 480 went up to 960 for high speed.

I think it's an exciting looking camera. I know the body is smaller than an Alexa or LF. But it only does 10-bit without the recorder. With the recorder it's about the size of an Alexa or Amira. Maybe if they enable recording to an Odyssey for 444 or RAW that'll alleviate some of my concerns. That way I can mount the recorder to a gimbal if needed.

I didn't realize Class 480 went up to 960 for high speed.

I think it's an exciting looking camera. I know the body is smaller than an Alexa or LF. But it only does 10-bit without the recorder. With the recorder it's about the size of an Alexa or Amira. Maybe if they enable recording to an Odyssey for 444 or RAW that'll alleviate some of my concerns. That way I can mount the recorder to a gimbal if needed.

Doesn't have to be high speed .. just plain 50p/60p.. will do it too.. I think this about the max for XAVC.. yeah still think its going to weigh less though.. I wonder if there is a cable for the R7.. so you can mount it as you suggest.. there should be..

• 1 month later...

Thanks Brian.. does seem to be a great camera.. maybe Sony will actually have a camera that will maker some inroads into the high end feature world..which the f65 never really did.. the menu is actually very similar to the one that was introduced in V9 of the f5/55.. for the LCD panel .. I wonder if they were sort of trying it out..

• Premium Member

Guys, it is an amazing camera.

The only thing that it misses is false colour (apparently it is going to be implemented in August), other than that is, simply put, fantastic.

Have a lovely day!

It really does look like a nicely done little camera (though I would argue it's an F55 ver2). Hopefully i'll be able to play with it a bit on set as I rather like the stuff sony puts out.

But being a FF sensor I dont see it as a F55 V2.. although they of course deny it.. it has to be more of an F65 V2.. its the exact same market its after.. I don't see the shutter thing being the big difference that Sony claim.. but I could see Sony combining the f5 and 55.. with the fs7 the f5 is sort of falling between two chairs .. time for an f8 !!..

• 3 months later...