225w incandescent

It's only amateur in how someone uses a tool, not the tool itself. Believing the quality of the tool determines the quality of the work is foolish; do not get caught in that trap.

Can you describe more what these lights are? I'm getting the impression that they're lights used for construction, but I could be wrong. Do you have any pictures or links?

• Upvote 1

Believe me, I'm not hung up on the glossy products people pull out to impress you...far from it. But it's above a certain threshold, no? I mean, 16mm is perfectly fine to shoot on, I find, but 8mm just looks like home movies. Sadly, I don't have any more info right now, but I'll hunt some out.

Thanks for warning me off foolishness, and I hope you have someone around to do the same. As we all need it.

Brett

Believe me, I'm not hung up on the glossy products people pull out to impress you...far from it. But it's above a certain threshold, no? I mean, 16mm is perfectly fine to shoot on, I find, but 8mm just looks like home movies. Sadly, I don't have any more info right now, but I'll hunt some out.

Thanks for warning me off foolishness, and I hope you have someone around to do the same. As we all need it.

Brett

I hope I didn't come across as crass!

8mm may look like home movies, but so did standard def DV footage. Of course, 28 Days Later was shot on standard def DV cameras...

My point, the tool does not determine the quality, the person using it does. You could give an iphone to Annie Leibovitz and she'll make better images than an experienced photographer using a Pentax 645.

Please let us know what the light is; we've all definitely used odd lighting to get what we want.

• 2 years later...

Hello, my apologies for taking years to reply to this... in the heat of pre-production I forgot all about this particular thread. We didn't end up using the 225s in question, but rented some tungsten Fresnel lights, to go with our tungstem film stock. It worked out well... the cameraman knew just what to place them, and yes, it gave it a somewhat jagged, Expressionist look, as desired.