Hi,

I haven't worked with one of these but interested in getting one for my lighting kit. I am used to renting 2k Mole Richardson Fresnel but for my own kit want something that is light weight and more compact.

I love Fresnels, but for my needs with a 2k tungsten is to soft bounce or shoot through 4X4, 6X6 and 8X8 most of the time so an open face is just fine. Also I have a limit to how much gear I can have for my own kit to store and transport in my car so I have to be smart about every piece of gear I buy.

My main concern older homes with a 15amp circuits with a 2k light and I don't see a lower wattage bulb for this light? Any solutions for this?

Also does anyone have some suggestions of another tungsten light that is light weight and compact and 2000 watts?

Hi Alexander - Sales Pitch Warning.....

Check out out 2K open face.

http://www.photonbeard.com/open-face.html

We have local support in North California or even more local via MACCAM in Van Nuys.

We also offer an HMI version which gives more light but is only 1200W.

If you have any questions get in touch.

The Arrilite 2000 is a bit smaller than a 2k fresnel, but is still a fairly bulky light - the light fills up a whole milk crate on its own (though it does fit entirely within, so you can still stack another milk crate on top).

One thing you'll find about open-face lights is that they do have higher light output compared to fresnels. About 50% of the light from the globe inside a fresnel fixture hits the side walls and is wasted, while open-face lights throw almost all the light forward. The trade off is that fresnels are easy to shape and control, while an open face light is simply throwing light in all directions in front of it. If you're planning to throw all that light into a sheet of diffusion, then an open-face light sounds ideal for you.

If you're happy with the amount of light you're getting from a 2k fresnel, then perhaps you only need a 1k open face, which would be much more compact.

There are 2 general types open-face lights. One type has a round reflector and offers some rough focusing ability. The Arrilite, Mickey/Mighty Mole, Photon Beam, or Lowel DP (which uses interchangeable reflectors instead of moving the globe within the fixture) fall into this category. The Arrilite+ 750 might be of interest if it's within your budget, since its special reflector provides a much wider range of focusing and reflects more efficiently than the dull/dimpled reflectors of other fixtures, with an output equal to other 1k open-face lights at a lower wattage.

Then there are "broad" lights, which are even more compact but offer no built-in control: Arri mini flood, Mole nook light, Photon Beard Minibroad, or the Lowel Tota, which is about as small as this type of light can get. These are also usually the most affordable, since they are very simple to build.

Edited by Daniel Klockenkemper

The Arrilite 2000 is a bit smaller than a 2k fresnel, but is still a fairly bulky light - the light fills up a whole milk crate on its own (though it does fit entirely within, so you can still stack another milk crate on top).
One thing you'll find about open-face lights is that they do have higher light output compared to fresnels. About 50% of the light from the globe inside a fresnel fixture hits the side walls and is wasted, while open-face lights throw almost all the light forward. The trade off is that fresnels are easy to shape and control, while an open face light is simply throwing light in all directions in front of it. If you're planning to throw all that light into a sheet of diffusion, then an open-face light sounds ideal for you.
If you're happy with the amount of light you're getting from a 2k fresnel, then perhaps you only need a 1k open face, which would be much more compact.
There are 2 general types open-face lights. One type has a round reflector and offers some rough focusing ability. The Arrilite, Mickey/Mighty Mole, Photon Beam, or Lowel DP (which uses interchangeable reflectors instead of moving the globe within the fixture) fall into this category. The Arrilite+ 750 might be of interest if it's within your budget, since its special reflector provides a much wider range of focusing and reflects more efficiently than the dull/dimpled reflectors of other fixtures, with an output equal to other 1k open-face lights at a lower wattage.
Then there are "broad" lights, which are even more compact but offer no built-in control: Arri mini flood, Mole nook light, Photon Beard Minibroad, or the Lowel Tota, which is about as small as this type of light can get. These are also usually the most affordable, since they are very simple to build.

I bought a used Arri Lite Plus 750 and It will arrive tomorrow. I am huge fan of the ETC Source 4 Par 750 and Panel for there energy efficiency but there not designed for being portable on production. The Arrilite Plus uses the same bulb and concept but more compact. Hope its a much better option in my light kit.

• 1 month later...

Now I'm confused. I thought the order of brightness from darker to brighter was open face, fresnel, then par. I thought when you open the fresnel lens the fixture basically becomes an open face and its definitely a stop darker. And I thought a par was a stop brighter than a fresnel. And the new arrilite plus has the same par reflector as the M series, so does that make it a par?