How to recreate this striped lighting?

What's the best way to create this effect? Is it as simple as placing a cookie cutter with bars in front of light source? I've done that before but the edges were not as sharp as these photographs. Are they using something else? Maybe is this a source 4 with a gobo?

post-69695-0-35665700-1507230664_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hi, it is as simple as placing a cookie cutter with bars in front of a focussed light source
You might place a metal cutout in a fresnel. That may create more or less visible colored "spills"
around the edges and I guess there's a reason these images are b&w.

When I did that some decades ago I used a simple slide projector.

Best,

Phil

Edited by Phil Soheili

• Premium Member

Either it's a very sharp source very far away and a pattern maker very close to the subject, or it's a projector light with a gobo pattern. I find that sharp gobo patterns produce color fringes when using Lekos but maybe there are better pattern projectors without so much color fringing (like a slide projector). In this case, turning the image to b&w and cranking up the contrast might have masked any color fringes around the patterns.

• Premium Member

The first thought that came to my crazy old man's mind was to kluge together a xenon projector lamp house, for creating a flat field, with the condenser head off a 4"x5" black and white enlarger. Use a high quality orthochromatic film for the pattern then find an appropriate combination of lens, focal length converter, extension tube or whatever to create a practical working distance..... I'll go sit down and be quiet now.