Shooting with anamorphic vintage lenses in GH5 (M43)

• Premium Member

Can't say I have as both of those are projection lenses. I know some people attempt to build a system to make those work; but it's never been something that's interested me as shooting anamorphic has enough issues before you start building your own optics.

Typically I err towards Kowa and Lomo Anamorphics, which are pretty easy to rent (and note, almost all my lens options are rentals, minus the really old glass I have, all of which is spherical or for stills). Rental really is the way to go when you are looking at cinema optics, and when working anamorphic, you REALLY need cinema optics.

If you're on a budget and want to "cheat" a bit; look into a set of Cinevized Nikon "e" series lenses, or set of Leica "r" lenses. From there, shoot for cropping to 2.35:1 in post and utilize a streak filter.

You could also go a little crazier and add on an oval bokeh filter (you'll possibly have to build your own but you can find out how online).

• Upvote 1

Can't say I have as both of those are projection lenses. I know some people attempt to build a system to make those work; but it's never been something that's interested me as shooting anamorphic has enough issues before you start building your own optics.

Typically I err towards Kowa and Lomo Anamorphics, which are pretty easy to rent (and note, almost all my lens options are rentals, minus the really old glass I have, all of which is spherical or for stills). Rental really is the way to go when you are looking at cinema optics, and when working anamorphic, you REALLY need cinema optics.

If you're on a budget and want to "cheat" a bit; look into a set of Cinevized Nikon "e" series lenses, or set of Leica "r" lenses. From there, shoot for cropping to 2.35:1 in post and utilize a streak filter.

You could also go a little crazier and add on an oval bokeh filter (you'll possibly have to build your own but you can find out how online).

One more time, thank you Adrian! you are helping me a lot these days. Is important for me, I appreciate.

I really like your recommendations and I think this way to proceed work for the character I'm looking for.

Anyways, it's impossible to me don't consider that a second hand Summicron R 35mm f2 it's on the same price of a new Voigtlander Nokton 42.5 f0.95 , I can guess why. But as long as I live in China, low light adaptation is a very important aspect to me.

With the Voigtlander I'm going to loose bokeh and some nice tint but I'll push out my low light scenes from the noise and I'll probably get a smoother focus ring.

I'll research more about both and I'll try to rent them for test how I'm feeling. Anyways, I always appreciate your comments based in your experience.

Now I understand the difference.

I'll go with the Summicron, thanks.