Controlling int. and ext. exposure through lighting

Hi there,

I have a film coming up which sits in the suspense drama genres with a touch of comedy. The director has put forward a number of Coen brother films like Serious Man and Fargo as narrative references. Anyway, long story short we have quite a bit of the film that plays out in a house up on top of a mountain. I am really keen to bring the scripts drama out by playing with contrast but I really want to retain my high lights and my black level so I have detail in them. Looking at Harris Savides mainly, Lance Acord and Matthew Libatique in Mother! They really nail this dramatic look. Please check the references I added from Mother! and God’s Pocket.

Looking at the references I would like to know what your preferred why or technique is to control the int exposure with ext spaces in the shot. I can see in Mother! the windows are looking out onto trees which are some what darker which helps the contrast. There are options with the ext. but I am curious to hear about techniques where I can increase the ambient light in the house without it looking like I have lit it.

I am shooting Arriraw on Alexa Mini with Baltar lenses. It’s my first film shooting Arriraw so I have not tested this extensively.

Kind regards,

Jacques

post-14977-0-14456100-1508428196_thumb.jpg

post-14977-0-65314300-1508428258_thumb.jpg

post-14977-0-59805900-1508429926_thumb.jpg

post-14977-0-40477400-1508429939_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jacques Koudstaal

my minimally educated guesses:

in the 4th frame it looks like there is a big source wrapping that window light from camera right, (possibly outside the window) - look at the double shadows on the wall hangings

the 1st and 2nd obviously have a dim soft source high and camera left. And probably some lights playing in the room behind the girl.

the 4th one may just be another window in that room on the left, no supplemental lighting unless there is an HMI outside one of the windows

common technique is to add light through or near the windows to build the inside exposure, but motivate from the (practical) window sources.