Nikon D500 or Sony Alpha 7

Bernhard Walzl

Hi!

I will be shooting soon a short film and have the option between two cameras on which both I have never shot before: Nikon D500 or Sony Alpha 7
I was wondering what you guys think, which of those cameras will output a better image?

I will have for both cameras the same (prime) lenses available.

To clarify, it is a short film which is both outdoors and indoors, both during day and night. I will deliver in Full HD (so no particular need for 4K).

What would you prefer and why?

Well I see no point in DSLRs for video. They're almost completely redundant for photography (not quite yet, but almost). But for video, what are you going to use the mirror box for? The A7, or any mirrorless camera, is compatible with many more lenses than the D500 is.

IMHO, FWIW, I'd prefer using APS-C cameras like the Fuji XT series - preferably the recent ones. I don't have heaps of experience in film & video, but I do like using smaller sensors with lenses from larger formats if they're available (in this case, VistaVision capable lenses). For S35, you can get really good cinema lenses - proper ones - for very little money. Worth thinking about.