Interviews with Roger Deakins (Blade Runner 2049) and Erik Messerschmidt (Mindhunter)

Matt Mulcahey

• 3 weeks later...

It's a little unfair that Chrisopher Probst only gets a brief mention for Mindhunter, as he set the look of the whole series, with the Fincher-directed episodes 1 & 2

Well, so far as I know, Probst wasn't even available for interviews -- Netflix certainly never gave any indication. (And I"m pretty sure Probst only did part of ep2, as Messerschmidt's rep indicated he did part of 2 as well as the remaining 8.)

Shoot, for the cover piece in DV on MINDHUNTER, I had to do my Messerschmidt interview by email, not even by phone, and well before ever seeing the show, so I was just having to send generic questions and talkpoints based only on the trailer and my knowledge of Fincher from having covered FIGHT CLUB and BUTTON. Not exactly ideal conditions.

It's a little unfair that Chrisopher Probst only gets a brief mention for Mindhunter, as he set the look of the whole series, with the Fincher-directed episodes 1 & 2

Unless most of the major locations are seen in the first episodes, I don't think it's fair to say that Christopher Probst 'set the look', and Erik Messerschmidt just followed along. From what I've heard about Fincher shoots, it's him that sets the look, not the DP anyway.