The Beguiled

Hi guys,

i recently watched The Beguiled by Sofia Coppola, cinematographed by Philippe Le Sourd

and was stunned by the large numbers of under-exposed frames and sequences.

I loved that look especially in candle-lighted interior...

Did you see the movie? What do you think about the stylish dark-somber look?

I add some jpgs 'cause not so much time to grab some tiff from resolve ;-)

post-70316-0-30793700-1509274480_thumb.jpg

post-70316-0-46469200-1509274488_thumb.jpg

post-70316-0-65437700-1509274500_thumb.jpg

Hi guys,

i recently watched The Beguiled by Sofia Coppola, cinematographed by Philippe Le Sourd

and was stunned by the large numbers of under-exposed frames and sequences.

I loved that look especially in candle-lighted interior...

Did you see the movie? What do you think about the stylish dark-somber look?

I add some jpgs 'cause not so much time to grab some tiff from resolve ;-)

Personally, I saw no need to remake the Eastwood film, but did do an interview with the DP.

http://www.creativeplanetnetwork.com/news/shoot/southern-gothic-philippe-le-sourds-beautiful-menacing-beguiled/619435

They did make one 35mm film print, but I don't know if/when they ever screened that.

I saw it at a screening, with what I suppose was very much less-than-ideal projection, so I'm guessing the picture looks better at home on BluRay.

Yeah I agree no need for that remake, but I was wondering about those under-exposures... to me looking very stylish... really dark, somber sequences...

Do you like and first of all do you subscribe as cinematographers such so low lighting?

I think if you're noticing underexposure, then something went wrong either in the shooting or post phase. Compare The Beguiled to another period, candlelit movie with Nicole Kidman, The Others for example, The Others has many candlelit nighttime scenes and I don't recall any reviews or critics being pre-occupied by how underexposed it is. Probably because it wasn't. But it looks dark and very brooding. Only you don't even notice it. The movie looks great and the nighttime look doesn't distract you at all. That's an approach I'd sooner subscribe to when it comes to achieving a "low lit" look.the-others.jpgthe-others-2001-movied.jpg

Edited by Michael LaVoie

• Premium Member

I didn't for a second think of underexposure as thats the reality of light....when its dark in a room....its em dark....so i thought it was all spot on......I thought it was beautifully filmed but found the story itself less great....the acting great too...its an 8/10 for me

I think if you're noticing underexposure, then something went wrong either in the shooting or post phase. Compare The Beguiled to another period, candlelit movie with Nicole Kidman, The Others for example, The Others has many candlelit nighttime scenes and I don't recall any reviews or critics being pre-occupied by how underexposed it is. Probably because it wasn't. But it looks dark and very brooding. Only you don't even notice it. The movie looks great and the nighttime look doesn't distract you at all. That's an approach I'd sooner subscribe to when it comes to achieving a "low lit" look.the-others.jpgthe-others-2001-movied.jpg

Yeah, I can compare The Beguiled to The Others in terms of low lit, but I guess The Beguiled is even more dark, with the characters often silhouetted and the environment somber and as intertwined with a sort of ash-light... I was not criticize that on the contrary to me it looked very beautiful.

I guess that 'The Others' is less pushed to under-exposure: if you look at the characters faces it's such good exposed; 'The Beguiled' reveals - in some scenes - a way enough different to expose the characters: they are deeply overwhelmed by a dark haze

Edited by Bas Jan Ader Endimione