What Is That Small Tape Called?

Tom Ellacott

Hi Guys,

Maybe a stupid question, but I work from the standard Conterra harness and have pens, sharpies, tape measure, scissors etc, but always notice other AC's with extremely small rolls of gaffer tape attached to their harnesses that I can't find anywhere online or in rental houses/kit houses etc?

They look like 1" gaffer tape, but wrapped around on old 35mm magazine cores strangely?

Am I completely missing the mark here haha?

Any help appreciated, hank you!

Tom

post-73611-0-37494500-1509377186_thumb.png

Why don't you ask? I don't think crew protocol requires them to be pretend to be deaf when addressed by lesser mortals.

A smaller roll is easier to handle, I suppose. Maybe there's a business opportunity in supplying them, decanted from full rolls.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Why don't you ask? I don't think crew protocol requires them to be pretend to be deaf when addressed by lesser mortals.

A smaller roll is easier to handle, I suppose. Maybe there's a business opportunity in supplying them, decanted from full rolls.

Ive just never thought to ask until I started to look for them for myself!

Edited by Tom Ellacott

They are 35mm film cores, often gotten from consumables or from leftovers on film jobs.

For thinner spike tape (1/2 inch) 16mm cores can be used.

I have a few cores like this but I mostly only carry spike tape these days and I've found small Sellotape cores work great.

I've also seen people use cheap sewing thread cores as they are so much smaller but just as wide.

There is an ACs and DITs thread which may have more info about this sort of DIY kit

Edited by Chris Steel

They are 35mm film cores, often gotten from consumables or from leftovers on film jobs.

For thinner spike tape (1/4 inch) 16mm cores can be used.

I have a few cores like this but I mostly only carry spike tape these days and I've found small Sellotape cores work great.

I've also seen people use cheap sewing thread cores as they are so much smaller but just as wide.

There is an ACs and DITs thread which may have more info about this sort of DIY kit

Ah brilliant, I’ll be sure to have a look, thank you!