Advice for Cam dept. new-comers?

Carlos Herrera

Hi everyone!

Hope your having a great week!

I have 2 questions today:

1. What personal decisions or events made the biggest difference in starting your film career?

2. What qualities or skills should those aspiring for the camera department have in order to improve chances of a successful career?

Thanks!

-Carlos

• Premium Member

Always be willing to learn; always be gracious, humble, and willing to help. Never think you're better than anyone else, and treat everyone on set the way you yourself would like to be treated. Keep a good sense of humor, and support those around you (a rising tide raises all ships).

Generally; don't be a dick and build your network as best you can. DO your best work on EVERY SET, regardless of the rate, and own up to your mistakes, if any. Most importantly, try not to stress too much. Some jobs will go great, some will be a disaster, it happens. I also highly recommend always maintaining perspective, it's far too easy to get lost in the good and bad of the moment, but you have to have a larger view, I think, to keep from going crazy.

• Upvote 2

Always be willing to learn; always be gracious, humble, and willing to help. Never think you're better than anyone else, and treat everyone on set the way you yourself would like to be treated. Keep a good sense of humor, and support those around you (a rising tide raises all ships).

Generally; don't be a dick and build your network as best you can. DO your best work on EVERY SET, regardless of the rate, and own up to your mistakes, if any. Most importantly, try not to stress too much. Some jobs will go great, some will be a disaster, it happens. I also highly recommend always maintaining perspective, it's far too easy to get lost in the good and bad of the moment, but you have to have a larger view, I think, to keep from going crazy.

Thanks Adrian!

Your advice rocks! I will work to apply it.

• Premium Member

My pleasure; and good luck.

Also as for finding some jobs; there's tons of facebook groups often looking for ACs. Some of it's crap (like craigslist) but most at least offer some modest pay. Like everything else, it's highly competitive, but a worthwhile check here and again.

My pleasure; and good luck.

Also as for finding some jobs; there's tons of facebook groups often looking for ACs. Some of it's crap (like craigslist) but most at least offer some modest pay. Like everything else, it's highly competitive, but a worthwhile check here and again.

I'll pursue those FB groups. Thank you!