Stranger Things 2

It's fine to critic things, but "It looks awful" brings nothing to the table, don't just bring down -- contribute. Saying that historical films can only use technology from it's time, is just silly. What about films, taking place before film was invented?

And why is 2:1 aspect ratio more or less nonsense then any other aspect ratio?

Interview with Tim Ives about season 1 and 2...

http://deadline.com/2017/08/stranger-things-tim-ives-duffer-brothers-cinematography-emmys-interview-1202141889/

They shot Red Dragon on the first, Red Helium on the second.

• Upvote 1

It's fine to critic things, but "It looks awful" brings nothing to the table, don't just bring down -- contribute. Saying that historical films can only use technology from it's time, is just silly. What about films, taking place before film was invented?

What about Scarecrow's Brain?

I think show looks awful to the problem is this show set on 80s but the image look so new, when i watching i don't believe it was set on 80s and dont feeling. It's just look a set in 2017 and dresses,set design from 80s, they only create so much fake 80's look.

Edited by fatih yıkar

• Premium Member

They for sure mucked up shooting digitally. It's just, Netflix is anti-film, it's not even one of their "required" acquisition formats for internal production.

I would have shot the entire show 250D/500T, standard 2x anamorphic 4 perf 35mm. Then I would have done some grain-enhancement in post to make it look like it's been printed. The net result would have been a very 80's, super analog look and it wouldn't have even been a blip on their HUGE budget.

I do like the show, I do think it's shot well too. I don't mind the digital aspect personally, but that's because most content these days I consume on my laptop in bed, so who cares. I don't bother turning on the home theater to watch stuff very much due to my crazy life schedule.

• Premium Member

Maybe you could get Mr. Storaro to explain how shooting 3-perf saves on film when shooting on digital.

Storaro shot Cafe Society digitally on the Sony F65 in 2:1 because he prefers that aspect ratio. He proposed it for film, not because it would save film stock (although it would compared to 4perf), but because he preferred that aspect ratio. It was always primarily an artistic choice.

My point is that 2:1 is a completely viable aesthetic choice the filmmakers made. It’s not without merit or precedence.

Tristan

• Premium Member

I think house of cards is 2:1 as well. They wanna differentiate their programming from the 1.75:1 standard. 1.85:1 isn't big enough of a difference and 2.40:1 has too much black bar. So they appear to be using around 2:1 for some of their original programming.

Film or not (and yes, it would have looked better on film, bla bla, also, Scorsese is shooting on film for The Irishman), it looks absolutely fantastic, they switched to the Red Helium, and the extra resolution doesn't feel harsh, the added grain helps a lot as well, the combination with the Summilux is fantastic. Production values are off the charts (20 % budget increase on the sequel), the season/sequel is fantastic, crushes the excellent first one.

They for sure mucked up shooting digitally. It's just, Netflix is anti-film, it's not even one of their "required" acquisition formats for internal production.

Yeah, I was talking with the DP of ALIAS GRACE the other day, and when I told him that Netflix wouldn't let Dariusz shoot film for OKJA, it just about blew his mind.

Well, I guess Joon-Ho & Khondji don't have the necessary clout, Netflix is sure letting Scorsese shoot on film for The Irishman like I said (Kodak NY lab handling the dailies), so it's possible with the right people :D

Edited by Manu Delpech

• Premium Member

Well, I guess Joon-Ho & Khondji don't have the necessary clout, Netflix is sure letting Scorsese shoot on film for The Irishman like I said (Kodak NY lab handling the dailies), so it's possible with the right people :D

The Irishman will be their first "film" production and I've been told they are "allowing" film for future productions.

Indeed, what sort of clown would even propose shooting in a 2:1 aspect ratio!? Unthinkable.

STORARO.png

The 2 by 1 widescreen ratio to me doesn't look good 'artistically'. It's too symetrical if that's the word. A little less or more is better. 1.85:1 or 2.2:1 both look great.

Love the 2.00:1 AR, especially for ST, 1.78 reminds me too much of TV (duh), 1.85 same thing, strikes a nice balance btw 1.78, or 1.85 & 2.35. Tim Ives said they liked the feel with the slight letterbox, makes it feel more cinematic. Don't know why I find even slight letterboxing more appealing to the eye than something full frame.