How did they achieve that background lighting? Reference Photo

Anthony Liu

Hey guys! I'm having a shoot this coming Saturday and I was wondering if anybody can educate me on how theyt got the midnight blue lighting for outside the window at the back of the grandpa's head. it seems like they used blue gels, but it also feels like it has a slight magneta shift as well. Does anybody know? Is this some type of old style lighting they used back then if so, what kind of lights and at what distance you think it is from the window?

This reference photo is from Ang Lee's first feature called "Pushing Hands". Thanks a bunch!

Anthony

P.S. I guess the attachment limit is 300KB, can you guys see the picture fine? Thanks.

post-73646-0-35054400-1509954424_thumb.png

Hello Anthony Liu.

There're lots of different gels available. Some of them with a blue-magenta tint. Also it is possible to use more than one gel on a light. Which gels they used exactly, is hard to tell. If you want to go for a specific look take a camera and try different gels and combination of gels.

Be aware that some effect gels might look absolutely fine with your eyes but not on the sensor/film material.

Thanks Samuel! How can you tell the light is hitting a tree on the first image you posted, is it the pattern that is behind the head of the father/grandpa? I can see it more on the second image cause there are some cast shadows right on the left side of the character Martha. Thanks.

Thanks Samuel! How can you tell the light is hitting a tree on the first image you posted, is it the pattern that is behind the head of the father/grandpa? I can see it more on the second image cause there are some cast shadows right on the left side of the character Martha. Thanks.

It's clearly a tree outside. From another angle you can see foliage from a different plant.

post-10433-0-48543500-1510006920_thumb.jpg

post-10433-0-93553500-1510007426_thumb.jpg

Ambient light..? its the night surely.. seems lit to me..the scenes the OP is referring to anyway.. you can see light hitting that tree /leaves.. then later ext shot the whole side of the house is lit up.. a bit cheesy blue for me personally ..

Edited by Robin R Probyn