ProRes 422 import - audio only

William Fischer

Been scouring the Web in vain for an answer to this problem...

I'm preparing a new sample reel at the moment, and I'm editing with Premiere CC 2017. Most of the files I'm working with are .h264 codec, but one old project is ProRes 422. Thanks to a hard drive crash, I don't have it available in any other format. When I import this project, only the audio comes over. I've tried all the recommended fixes - clearing cache, installing/updating Quicktime, and have been told by Adobe that this issue was fixed for CC 2017, but still no luck.

Any suggestions?

Can you open the file in any other software? Try Davinci Resolve, it's free. If you can open it, render it into a new file and try to open that in PP. Or try quicktime 7 pro if you still have that. Or FCP7 or FCPx?

I've never had any issue with PP opening a ProRes quicktime file.

Can you open the file in any other software? Try Davinci Resolve, it's free. If you can open it, render it into a new file and try to open that in PP. Or try quicktime 7 pro if you still have that. Or FCP7 or FCPx?

I've never had any issue with PP opening a ProRes quicktime file.

I have QuickTime Player 7.7.9, which opens the file just fine.

I'll give Davinci a try.

I've encountered a new problem: after using Resolve to render an .h264 of my ProRes file, and it successfully imported into my project. But after I rendered the timeline, no .mov file - ProRes, h264, or otherwise - will transfer over to the timeline, except for the audio. If I attempt to start a new project, I have that problem from the beginning; the only clip that will successfully reach the timeline is the initial clip that I place there. Everything still imports into the project successfully; it just won't transfer to the timeline.

As I've said, I tried starting a new project; I've also tried clearing the cache, and working without the converted file. Nothin' doin'.