Exposure with F55

Gabriel Wilson

What standards are people using to expose the F55 I have more experience with the Alexa. I use zebras to expose with my fs7 but find it less than ideal for narrative shoots. Ideally, I would put a LUT on the EVF like I do with the FS7. Also should I use a different gamma in darker settings?

• Premium Member

The last one I shot with, I shot in SLOG2 and had to rate the camera at 640 ISO on my meter in order to get middle grey to 32% IRE (i.e. correctly exposed).

**NOTE: that was done with the camera left at its default 1250 ISO setting in Cine EI mode

If you don't have a lightmeter, I'd suggest shooting in SLOG2 so that you can use the camera's False Colour metering in the EVF. With false colour enabled, just expose middle grey until you get it green, and correctly exposed caucasian skintones in pink.

The last one I shot with, I shot in SLOG2 and had to rate the camera at 640 ISO on my meter in order to get middle grey to 32% IRE (i.e. correctly exposed).

**NOTE: that was done with the camera left at its default 1250 ISO setting in Cine EI mode

If you don't have a lightmeter, I'd suggest shooting in SLOG2 so that you can use the camera's False Colour metering in the EVF. With false colour enabled, just expose middle grey until you get it green, and correctly exposed caucasian skintones in pink.

Is it possible to Use a rec709 LUT in tandem with False Color? Does the false color only work in SLOG2 Also curious where you are finding your percentages?

False color and Slog3 has been an on going drama on the Sony forum for years now.. seems the OLED EVF FC can only be "set" to one gamma.. they would all need to be sent into Sony to up grade to be Slog3 only.. and the would then be a nightmare for rental houses.. or so the story was..

The new Venice EVF can be used on the f5/55.. apart from being alot better than the older one anyway.. if might support slog3.. ?

Or use a 3rd party EVF.. Zacuto grat/eye..

False color and Slog3 has been an on going drama on the Sony forum for years now.. seems the OLED EVF FC can only be "set" to one gamma.. they would all need to be sent into Sony to up grade to be Slog3 only.. and the would then be a nightmare for rental houses.. or so the story was..

The new Venice EVF can be used on the f5/55.. apart from being alot better than the older one anyway.. if might support slog3.. ?

Or use a 3rd party EVF.. Zacuto grat/eye..

what about using false color on top of a REC 709 LUT? While still shooting SLOG 3 or 2? would that still map correctly. Even if I rate the camera at let's say 1000 EI?

what about using false color on top of a REC 709 LUT? While still shooting SLOG 3 or 2? would that still map correctly. Even if I rate the camera at let's say 1000 EI?

Sorry dont know.. never use it.. it seems to only work in Slog2.. Im not sure even the new L200 EVF supports Slog3.. nothing Ive read says it does so probably it doesnt .. which would be very strange as Sony has pushed Slog3 as its go to LOG gamma.. for good reason too as its very similar to Arri LogC/Cineon "industry standard".. Slog2 can be tricky to grade.. green goes spiking off to the left ...and huge gamut.. like Stuart I only ever use Slog3.cine in Cine EI mode.. but I just use a Rec 709 MLUT.. and go off the monitor or EVF.. its easiest for me.. and Ive also shot so many years of Rec 709 back to Betasp days.. I can sort of do it asleep.. actually I often do..

Just a thought .. the Venice has only Slog3.. so presuming the new EVF has the same "spare" FC button function.. then this new VF should be able to support FC for Slog3.. ? Im hoping to get a look at the thing at interbee next week..

Also Slog3 you can make use of LUTs designed for Arri LOG /Cineon as 3 is very similar on purpose .. and most post/graders know how to deal with it..compared to Slog2.. I think Slog2 was designed specifically for the f65..but eventually Sony saw that Cineon/Arri LogC had really become a "standard" and they needed to offer a version of it.. not a curve just for their own sensor ..