Just got new canon scoopic 16 m, few questions

Alexey Kurbatov

Hello everyone!

After few months of searches i just got my first 16mm camera - canon scoopic 16M

camera looks absolutely new, looks like nobody ever put film in it!

I made a battery from 8xAA holder - and camera turned on and runs!

I have few questions tho.

1. First of all - foam gaskets turns to ashes - so side cover is very loose. Should i be afraid of light leaks? Seems like it have pretty big borders anyway. And to be honest i have no idea how to replace it.

2. Second - which scares me a lot. When shutter button half pressed - exposure meter is starting working - and it makes really loud sound! Buzz or hum, i dont know how to explain. But it is REALLY loud sound. And i even feel some vibration with my hands.

3. i opened pressure plate and it looks like i see some dust on gate. What is a best way to clean gate and pressure plate?

4. I do understand that old cameras sometimes needs CLA. But i dont have another 350$ for it. How can i figure out do i need CLA or not?

Thank you guys!

• Premium Member

3. Round brush, toothbrush, bare fingers, matches (side opposite fire head). Never anything harder than metals

4. Every camera needs CLA after a while. If you don’t invest in a service,

you risk problems with any camera. I am finishing service of a Bell

& Howell Filmo 70-DL as it was put on the market in February 1951.

These are real cameras, no plastic or foam rubber. Wear-resistant

steels for the film channel, a high-speed governor for very constant

speeds, a simple and therefore easily controllable gear train, oilers,

rugged construction, and a critical focusing eyepiece. One can use

up to three prime lenses on the turret together with matching finder

lenses from 10 mm to 152 mm focal length. Extension tubes and an

alignment gauge make possible macro shots. Optical freedom! The

rest is a lightmeter and some brains

Replacement light seal foam isn't too hard to get, there's plenty on ebay. Just scrape out and replace. I wouldn't leave it.

I don't know about the noise. Perhaps you could shoot a viideo and link to it on youtube here.

Edited by Mark Dunn

Wow that is weird. Hopefully someone will help you out but are you sure it has nothing to do with the improvised battery system you rigged?

I would have the light seals replaced, but until then, maybe you could use camera tape along the edges.

I use this kind: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00ZRYP38I/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

• 5 weeks later...
  • Premium Member

4. I do understand that old cameras sometimes needs CLA. But i dont have another 350$ for it. How can i figure out do i need CLA or not?

If you don't have $350 for a CLA you're in the wrong hobby. Just one 100' roll of 16mm (~3.5 minutes) will cost you close to $100 to purchase, process and transfer.